textures invisible from cockpit

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I'm almost positive I read this thread on M6, but since that's not an option, I'm hoping someone here knows the answer to this one.

My textures are all visible from the external view:

3854978b33.jpg

But not from the cockpit:

ba26240943.jpg

Untill you get about this far away:

aadc775126.jpg

It's the same at the axis/mass. Until you're so far away, it can't be seen from the cockpit.

Anyone know what's going on?

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just the textures or the entire mesh can't be seen ?

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
On the Orbiter launchpad, make sure the MFDs are not set to invisible or transparent MFD.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Do you mean you want to be able to see your ship's mesh from the 2D cockpit view? If that is the case, you can use the SetMeshVisibilityMode API call for that.

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Do you mean you want to be able to see your ship's mesh from the 2D cockpit view? If that is the case, you can use the SetMeshVisibilityMode API call for that.

He's using spacecraft3.dll, and I don't think there is an option in there for that unfortunately.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Actually at this point I'm not using Spacecraft3, so I've done all the work in the .cfg and .scn file.

I did wonder if that might be the problem. I'm actually a lot more comfortable writing .ini files at this point, and having the .cfg look to the .ini. I thought I'd redo the configuration to include Spacecraft3 in anticipation of animations I have in mind (for sure the catcher's got to open and close!), so I'll see if this fixes the invisibility problem.

Before I do this though, I think I'll try dbeachy1's advice and see if that fixes things.

Thanks for the advice gang!

Cheers.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Ok,

I have noticed with further experimentation, that the mesh is partially visible, in that a small black dot can be seen from the cockpit of the Delta-G while still attached to the cable. I'm not sure if this is the cable, or the mass 40km away. The spool and solar panels, etc. can't be seen until a certain distance away. This "invisibility" is in both 2d and virtual cockpit views.

Reconfiguring this with an .ini did not fix the visibility issue. I'm pretty sure it's got to do with scale, and I'm guessing might be fixed with the API - SetMeshVisibilityMode.

This can't be done without creating a .dll, can it?

Last edited:

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ok,

Reconfiguring this with an .ini did not fix the visibility issue. I'm pretty sure it's got to do with scale, and I'm guessing might be fixed with the API - SetMeshVisibilityMode.

This can't be done without creating a .dll, can it?

Nope. But I am not sure what you are trying to do. By default, Orbiter does not render the mesh while you are inside the cockpit. However you can use the SetMeshVisibilityMode API call to make Orbiter render the mesh at all times. However your issue seems like as you said a scaling problem. Make sure the size parameter is set correctly. If the size is too big, orbiter might not render the mesh until you have zoomed out a good deal.

This could also be just a problem in the mesh.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Nope. But I am not sure what you are trying to do. By default, Orbiter does not render the mesh while you are inside the cockpit. However you can use the SetMeshVisibilityMode API call to make Orbiter render the mesh at all times. However your issue seems like as you said a scaling problem. Make sure the size parameter is set correctly. If the size is too big, orbiter might not render the mesh until you have zoomed out a good deal.

This could also be just a problem in the mesh.

Doh!

It is a scaling issue. The difficulty here is that it's such a large object with nearly all the mass compressed into 47m serving as the axis. I'm going to have to spend more time with the PMI and Cross Sections.

I set the size parameter higher in my .ini file and behold:

3545413197.jpg

The external mesh is now visible from the cockpit.

Now another problem occurs, and the catcher/tether (spool assembly, etc.) disappears from view at jettison.

That one thing's resolved and another problem arises from an adjustment of the size setting makes me sure this is the issue.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Solved.

It was a scaling issue. Now the catcher and spool assembly are both visible from the cockpit and remain so after jettison.

I went back and recalculated a lot of things in the process, so it worked out for the best after all. No more issues of any sort for the big, dumb prototype.