Texas Fly-In - 19-20 Feb 2011

Carmen A

redneck kitten with pillow :3
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
As some of you may have been aware, I have in production a wide area Texas terrain pack for the past week or so. Progress had been rapid and the basic infrastructure of major and minor airports, "Sky Ranches" (tiny private fields) and maybe a landspeeder superhighway or two might be ready this weekend.

To boost Texan pride and awareness (sorry couldn't resist) we're going to put up a multiplayer session this weekend to test out the terrain. There will be no start locations in Texas but authentic redneck-style A/STC (aerospace traffic control) will be provided to give you a virtual tour of the Houston, TX theatre of operations. OMP radio chatter is totally hilarious but also contains (somehow) real flight directing stuff.

The terrain is designed to maximise framerate and has a relatively tiny install size. You will get about a dozen base locations if I manage to position the runways fast enough, making for a somewhat entertaining environment with which to operate light aerospace and contragravity craft. (It's named Texas 2060 for a reason :3)

If you wish to join us for the virtual Texas Air National Guard exercise this weekend, contact me for addon requirements and technical briefing, or simply log on to Orbiter Multiplayer this weekend.

We will be simulating a capital ship sortie from the Moon, in response to a communications blackout over Earth caused by terrorist E-bomb action. Military airship USS Saratoga will operate in contragravity over Houston while deploying various support craft to secure and restore key infrastructure systems.

Click here for the Texas 2060 development album and here for the Orbiter Multiplayer project site (which contains installation directions etc).

The target completion state for Saturday is 7 airport runways and 4 STOVL bases.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Sounds like fun. I might give OMP a go and see if I can work this out :lol:

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
School breaks up for a weeks holiday on Friday, so I'll be with you all the way (hopefully)

Carmen A

redneck kitten with pillow :3
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
You fixed it, great :3

This is the terrain test pack which contains the ground tiles and basic airports:

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5103"]Houston Texas Terrain & Infrastructure v0.1[/ame]

For the weekend test flights we will be using the following addon vehicles:

- Standard Orbiter ships (except Atlantis, not OMP compatible)
- XR1, 2 and 5.
- UCGO Arrow Freighter with Earth-modified hover thrusters
- [OPTIONAL] Arrow X configuration - to be used for Moon-Earth transit in real time.

- If you wish to bring your own custom air/spacecraft, you will have to register them manually on the server and ensure other players in the session have the same addons installed. However, the OMP netcode is currently not compatible with the following:

1. Ballistic missiles, or other weapons with damage / destruction effects (trying to delete other players' objects will cause a CTD).
2. Space Shuttle - the SRB particle effects cause instability, so does using scenario editor to move the Shuttle around.
3. Deltaglider IV - the destruction effects (debris) once again cause instability.
4. UMMU - can exit vehicle but causes CTD on re-entering unless server commands are micromanaged.
5. UCGO cars and hot air balloon - they do not support time acceleration and cannot sync with other players and the server.

deltawing777

Reaction score
Website
omp.dyndns-server.com
I dont know bout you guys..but i think i managed to get everything caught up at work..I do believe i will be off this weekend (unless somthing changes at last minute) Im going to do some good ol' texas flying and pssibly a cold adult beverage to go along with it :)