System test

Sverige

Reaction score
I wonder if "system test" on panel 101 has any real function? There is a switch instruction on panel B1 but it does not match the switch on panel 101. Any ideas?

/Mikael

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes it does work, a list of what each display means can be found in the AOH: https://history.nasa.gov/afj/aoh/aoh-v1-2-06-eps.pdf PDF pages 43 and 45. Not all of them have meaning in NASSP, as some parameters aren't simulated yet. The one I am checking the most is 4D, which is the CSM to LM current.

The instructions seem to be for the Skylab CSMs interestingly. Guess pictures from that were used as a source when the panel got created. We should change that some time to what it would show on Apollo 11, or make the instructions mission specific.

Sverige

Reaction score
Yes it looks like it works except possibly "xpndr A-D". Nothing happened and no signal on the meter. Did I miss something here? Some switch that should be activated?

meik84

Reaction score
AFAIK the radar transponder isn't simulated yet. At least I flew 11 some time ago with the transponder (accidentally) switched off, but the LM radar still tracked the CSM. Same goes for the VHF ranging in the CSM: it doesn't look if the LM is configured right.

Sverige

Reaction score
Hi meik, thanks for your reply! Good to know that radar transponder isn't simulated yet. After all, the function is not critical to the simulator.

/Mikael

meik84

Reaction score
Well, it would be a nice 'Gotcha!'.;)
However, on the other side rendezvous is quite 4-hands-4-eyes-and-2-brains task if you want to do it properly for all 3 (LM PGNS, LM AGS and CSM PGNS). I tried it with 11 and heck, I've never switched around CSM and LM that frequently, especially as 11's AGS software hadn't the 'auto marks from PGNS' feature and you have to feed in the radar marks manually over this minimalistic DEDA interface. And keep the CMC happy with optic marks. And plot the manual solutions. And keep an eye on mission time, so that you don't miss the burns. Phew!

Sverige

Reaction score
I just finished Apollo 7 and started Apollo 8. Have no idea how LM works but it will be fun when I reach that level. It's almost a full-time job to learn how to fly this old spaceship:). I have learned a lot from Apollo 7 and feel good to start with 8. /Mikael

MrFickles

Reaction score
You'll get the hang of it, I'm sure of that.

We've all once had to go through the checklists step by step for something as simple as an attitude change.

Apollo 8 should be a simple trip to the moon and back if you've flown Apollo 7 first. Once you get to Apollo 9, that's when the real work begins. Having to monitor 2 spacecraft at once takes up all your attention. Even more so when they're flying separately.

Last edited:

Thespacer

Reaction score
Having tried it several times, I’ve found lunar orbit rendezvous fascinating, and easily the most complicated aspect of NASSP IMHO, if doing it properly with both CSM and LM. Probably deserves a discussion thread of its own.

MrFickles

Reaction score
For me it was the rendezvous sequence on Apollo 9, time is really tight on that one.

Sloppyphan

Reaction score
AFAIK the radar transponder isn't simulated yet. At least I flew 11 some time ago with the transponder (accidentally) switched off, but the LM radar still tracked the CSM. Same goes for the VHF ranging in the CSM: it doesn't look if the LM is configured right.

Out of Curiosity, It this the same with S-Band? Was thinking I'd see the meter move, but no joy so far so figured I'd ask.

Sverige

Reaction score
I don't know, but I get to know now when I start with Apollo 8. Maybe someone here knows?
/Mikael

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Radar transponder is indeed not implemented yet. VHF Ranging is implemented (for Apollo 10+) and it does actually need the right switch configuration and systems powered up in CSM and LM. It only doesn't check if the antenna is in the right position to receive a signal. It only checks on min and max distance to the LM.

The CSM High Gain and the LM Steerable Antenna are implemented, but have no auto tracking yet. For the CSM that is currently being worked on and should be ready soon.

Sverige

Reaction score
That's good news and thanks for the information!

/Mikael

Sloppyphan

Reaction score
Radar transponder is indeed not implemented yet. VHF Ranging is implemented (for Apollo 10+) and it does actually need the right switch configuration and systems powered up in CSM and LM. It only doesn't check if the antenna is in the right position to receive a signal. It only checks on min and max distance to the LM.

The CSM High Gain and the LM Steerable Antenna are implemented, but have no auto tracking yet. For the CSM that is currently being worked on and should be ready soon.

So just to laymen it, for the S-band on the LM It's working as long as V06N51 is showing "tracking"?

Also in 10 it seems the MCC is about 40 mins behind the checklist times, I somewhat recall reading some issue about the time accel being the cause of this? It that right or did I swiss-cheese my research. Anything I can do to fix mid flight?

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So just to laymen it, for the S-band on the LM It's working as long as V06N51 is showing "tracking"?

The LM S-Band Steerable Antenna has a working manual mode. The geometry is done to calculate the direction of the Earth and to show a signal strength on the gauge for it. So you can call Verb 64 and use the manual pitch and yaw angles it gives there in the manual control mode of the antenna. What has not been implemented yet is the auto mode of the LM steerable antenna.

The automatic modes of the CSM HGA have just been implemented btw, it's in the most recent release.

Also in 10 it seems the MCC is about 40 mins behind the checklist times, I somewhat recall reading some issue about the time accel being the cause of this? It that right or did I swiss-cheese my research. Anything I can do to fix mid flight?

40 minutes is pretty high, I've not seen more than 25 minutes on my tests. 10 minutes of that is doing MCC-2 instead of MCC-1, as those maneuvers aren't nominally 0, they did a maneuver to more closely resemble the Apollo 11 trajectory. The real mission also skipped MCC-1 and did that trajectory change with MCC-2, so the real mission also fell behind 10 minutes due to that. As for the other time difference, it's probably something with the TLI targeting parameters for Apollo 10 we use. I have to look through them once more, maybe I'm finding the issue. There is not much you can do really, the translunar flight time is fairly fixed when the midcourse maneuver targets free return. But I am not sure why you have even more than usual. If it is something fixable in the TLI targeting then we will get 15 minutes back at least once it is fixed.

Sloppyphan

Reaction score
Thanks,

It is mostly likely closer to 20 mins delay on average.

With the RR I was wondering is there a range to CSM for the No Track light to go out? Or do I need to manually move the antenna. With the Delay I was wondering if to far from CSM now.

Sloppyphan

Reaction score
MCC Timing and Pad Issues (missing?) Apollo 10 MCC Scenario

40 minutes is pretty high, I've not seen more than 25 minutes on my tests. . As for the other time difference, it's probably something with the TLI targeting parameters for Apollo 10 we use. If it is something fixable in the TLI targeting then we will get 15 minutes back at least once it is fixed.

So the TLI was maybe a little late but otherwise ok, My real issues start around the Pads needed right after LM undocking. Thats when they seem about 40 mins behind time line. I get an all Zero DOI pad, (or no pad just "thread started" ) then the abort and phasing p30 does show up eventually.
I tried to setup for phasing when the time came, but I have a feeling since their wasn't a DOI I didn't have everything setup right as the engine didn't fire.

I did have an issue with an MCC and LOI burn where the engine stopped early and I had to go direct to finish the burns and I am very sure I had done proper procedure, the first time it happened I even re-did it to see and same thing. I'm sure that could of affected the timeline also . .

My thought is I might had to start over which is a bummer :)