Advanced Question Synchronize Rotational Velocity with Orbit

PaulG

Reaction score
When in orbit, how do I synchronize my rotational velocity with my orbit so that the ship (DGIV or shuttle, etc) remains in the same orientation throughout the orbit?

In other words, I want to maintain the same relative angle, normal to earth, during my orbit, just like the real shuttle does.

Thanks,
Paul

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Angular rate of the Orbit is 360°/orbit period (T).

Just tap your RCS carefully until you are rotating so fast.

PaulG

Reaction score
So, there is no MFD to set it? Thats ok...I was just hoping for a more precise way of setting it....

I know T is obtained from orbit MFD, but where can I monitor the angular velocity?

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
If you have the Shuttle Fleet installed, check the docks for TORVA practice. I think it mentions the rotational acceleration needed when you are approaching the station on the V-bar (headed toward the docking port from in front of the station). I am at work, so I can not verify this for sure, but you should take a look at that doc anyway as it has some relevant info.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
It's something I've thought about, but never managed to find. I normally tap the RCS as Urwumpe mentioned
For most shuttle missions the orbit is near enough to circular that using Attitude MFD in Velocity mode will have you near-as-dammit to a synchronous angular velocity.

In relation to the OP, Shuttle missions have a nominal attitude relative to the velocity vector anyway (it is normally written in the flight plans that way). So if you see -ZLV -XVV (a fairly typical attitude), that means payload bay to the earth and flying tail first. You would acheive that attitude in Attitude MFD Velocity mode by setting a pitch of 180 degrees.

PaulG

Reaction score
Thanks a lot. I'll try this out.

Worked like a charm! Thanks!

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3165"]Attitude MFD V3.2[/ame]

Attitude MFD will do this for you.

If your orbit is not circular then the angular rates will change as you go around.