Sub-orbital 'hops' in a DGIV.

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hello all. I'm trying to find a semi-decent, potentially realistic flight plan for a sub-orbital jaunt to Habana from KSC in a DGIV.

So far, all of my trusty test pilots and passengers have had to experience around 7-9g on re-entry. This is due to the rapid thickening of the atmosphere bought about by a ballistic flight path. The hull doesn't get too hot, but the G forces would be unsatisfactory for a 'commercial' service.

I'm using the Mark IV engine, with the fuel set to 'realistic'. I vent the fuel down to 40% and the RCS down to 30%. I take off from runway 15, turn to a heading of around 195 degress, climb at 20deg pitch up until about 5km, go full throttle, hit the turbo pump and pitch up to about 65 degrees. I wait, holding 65, and then pitch accordingly to keep the PeA at 80-100km. I shut down with a slight, ballistic (MapMFD- no atmosphere) overshoot of Habana and set the entry AP for a 45 degree AoA. A short time after this, all of my passengers eyeballs are pushed to somewhere down near their shins and everyone winds up a few mm's shorter than they were when they boarded.

Is there any reasonable flight plan for hop of this type? One that would only perhaps encounter 3gs max? Without using the hover engines (cheating :p), I doubt it. But I thought I'd ask anyway.

Cheers,
Pete.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The only thing I suggest for lightening up the G's would be a much more shallow trajectory. But that would entail a pretty distant landing site...

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
The only thing I suggest for lightening up the G's would be a much more shallow trajectory. But that would entail a pretty distant landing site...

Or reduce your apogee. This will cut down on your 'freefall' time and may potentially take more time and fuel to complete a hop. Not to mention, short trips turn you into just another rocket powered airplane.

Jarvitä

Reaction score
Or, you could just make a powered atmospheric flight at 30km and mach 7, it would take around the same time and you would likely spend even less fuel, seeing as how you won't need to vent it.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Or, you could just make a powered atmospheric flight at 30km and mach 7, it would take around the same time and you would likely spend even less fuel, seeing as how you won't need to vent it.
But do you get to catch floating M&M's in your mouth? Ah, there's the rub...

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, I would like to have a flight plan that gets over 100km. For the sake of actually getting the passengers into space.

I'm starting to think that the DG wont be able to make a comfortable, commercially acceptable suborbital flight without a SS1esque 'feathered' configuration. Or perhaps something similar. Even straight up and down I can't keep the Gs below 4.

-----Posted Added-----

I could change my Suborbital Autopilot for flights to Habana.

I have flown your AP, astrosammy. It only does what I would do if going straight up - straight down. I still experience over 6gs coming back in. How might you change it for flights to Habana without excess G forces?

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I have flown your AP, astrosammy. It only does what I would do if going straight up - straight down. I still experience over 6gs coming back in. How might you change it for flights to Habana without excess G forces?

I'll have to try around with different AOAs, and with different fuel levels.

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
What I do is to raise apoapsis right below 45 km. Then I fly like a plane and use AerobrakeMFD to put impact point right on target base.

Ballisto

Reaction score
Link is dead. I have been looking everywhere for this autopilot for DGIV.

Anyone have it somewhere? It looks like Dan no longer hosts it.

Thanks.

BUMP

If anyone has the above mentioned Dan Steph addon "Suborbital Autopilot" installed I would be most grateful if you could share a copy of it.

The problem is that since Dan had to do a server migration a lot of content was lost for the DG. Also it seems Dan is no longer active.

Many thanks in advance.

Ballisto.

Ballisto

Reaction score
What about SuborbMFD?

As mentioned above this is indeed for minimal atmosphere only. E.g. LolaMFD can handle that.

There once was a sub-orbital MFD that could also be used on Earth but it looks like it is lost forever.

Alas.