OHM STS-6-TDRS

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: hutchison66

STS-6 TDRS mission for Shuttle Fleet,  unzip in to files an stated,  Hope I've icluded everything,  on orbit place the shuttle 56 degrees down on prograde,  press Crtl F8 for 28 degrees rotation,  press Ctrl F8 again for final rotation to 56 degrees, when it stops moving Press Ctrl F6 for release  you can then select IUS for orbital insertion.  as each stage burns out press J to seperate to next stage on final press K to unfurl TDRS panels and antennas.. PS to Return the Ase Support Ring Back  Press shift F6.

OK I put these together from available addons on Orbiter Hanger The IUS and ASE came from Jaques Momo  who done a brilliant job on these  thank you very much.TDRS Comes care of Gazza it works great Thanks. I only altered Jaques files to carry Gazza's TDRS all the config files are in their own independant folders so shouldn't write over orginal config files

Also to come is Magellan and Galileo  oh and Centaur-G next to get working is Ulyses which was meant to go on the centaur-G

if I've forgot to meantion you in this Thank you very much for your work

Ps I've tested this on a clean install but if I've made a mistake let me know so I can correct it

Thanks David

DOWNLOAD

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
I'm a little concerned that you are starting to develop some bad habits with your add-ons.

First of all, your add-ons don't have documentation included in the download. Even putting the O-H description in a text file in the download would be helpful.

Second of all, these two statements together are a recipe for disaster:

"OK I put these together from available addons on Orbiter Hanger"
"if I've forgot to meantion [sic] you in this Thank you very much for your work"

I hope that you are getting permission to release other people's work BEFORE you release these add-ons. Then, it would be a really, really good idea (IMHO) to attribute EVERYONE in detail that provided work that isn't your own.

I know you are trying to help the community by consolidating various assorted add-ons into something more...lets say... coherent. However, I've seen mistakes in permission and attribution turn into incredibly bad situations in the past, especially when dealing with Shuttle Fleet.

Please be careful. :cool:

hutchison66

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Addons

I get what your saying about permissions I will try to get permission for major parts but the problem is I work from my Orbiter set up and I don't always know where I got the small part like a texture that's why I say if I've missed you thank you. I'm not passing anything off as my own
at the moment most of my addons are mostly simple if I manage to do anything more complex I'll have ago

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
That answer is- frankly- disappointing.

If you are using textures without attribution, then you ARE passing it off as if it were your own.

Lack of organization skills on your part isn't going to be an excuse if you manage to make someone angry for not getting permission & attribution.

Trust me, even for "free" add-ons, it's a bigger deal than you think.

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
I just have a look to your add-on, but I found a problem:

During installation, one of your add-on's file overwrites a another file : TDRS.ini !..

And... that file is part of David413's STS-Payloads v2010R0 add-on...

look :

David413' file : TDRS.ini
Code:
[CONFIG]
MESHNAME="STS_Payloads\TDRS"
EMPTY_MASS=1860
FUEL_MASS=408 
MAIN_THRUST=0
(...)

and your file (same name)
Code:
[CONFIG]
MESHNAME="TDRS\tdrs"
EMPTY_MASS=1860
FUEL_MASS=408 
MAIN_THRUST=0
(...)

So I think there is a problem with your add-on :
your files must not overwrite other files (or notice it in a special documentation) , and certainly not one of those David413's file !!!

And... one last remark :
The TDRS.MSH file seems to be this of the Gazza' STS Payloads v2.01 add-on...

So... nothing is from you ??? :hmm:

Last edited:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
From what I understand, the work here was to take Gazza's payload and redo the configurations, etc. to use the new IUS from the Chandra add-on. However, all meshes, textures, etc. were made by the original authors, not hutchison66.

It's not that I want to pick on hutchison66. There is some "value added" to the community to do the grunt work of the configurations to keep things more up to date. I'm actually only saying something because I want such work to continue. However, I think the implementation was a faux pas, and I don't want hutchison66 to be surprised when there are serious repercussions that would STOP the work.

I would have two recommendations:
1) Get permission to use each and every file that you upload that isn't yours and attribute each and every author.

OR

2) Only upload the configuration files that you change, a list of required add-ons, and detailed instructions so users can make the changes themselves.

hutchison66

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
files

never said the files where my own but can understand why David 413 doesn't update shuttle fleet any more.. So forget it won't post any more
its meant to be a community of people interested in the sim but seems like everyone just wants to put people of trying something and giving people things to fly so you can all be happy you've put another off that's why there is hardly any new stuff for shuttle fleet Thanks I was enjoying letting people try what I'd put together forget it....

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
never said the files where my own but can understand why David 413 doesn't update shuttle fleet any more.. So forget it won't post any more
its meant to be a community of people interested in the sim but seems like everyone just wants to put people of trying something and giving people things to fly so you can all be happy you've put another off that's why there is hardly any new stuff for shuttle fleet Thanks I was enjoying letting people try what I'd put together forget it....

No one ever said that you should stop with what you're doing.

never said the files where my own
But you also didn't properly credited the people who've spend hours creating it. Besides that, because you created your own mesh folder, and copied the files to that location, it could look like you've created the meshes and other related files.

Your effort is appreciated, but these kind of "add-ons" are exactly why the shuttle fleet isn't maintained anymore. The others are only trying to help you, to make your next upload better. You do realize that this add-ons overwrites configuration files, and can break other scenario's? That's quite serious.

2) Only upload the configuration files that you change, a list of required add-ons, and detailed instructions so users can make the changes themselves.
In my opinion, this is the best way. You don't have to get permission from the original authors, since you're not uploading their files.

Thanks I was enjoying letting people try what I'd put together forget it....
Geez, you sound like my girlfriend..

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
David413 has already done great things...:thumbup:

but come on, let's be cool !...:RnR1:

I am actually making a future add-on for the David413's shuttle fleet : it is the Astra / Crista satellite and payload.

6594154710.jpg

The work is in progress.

Gazza

Reaction score
I'm glad to see some of my meshes and textures being reused to keep the earlier shuttle missions going. It is very sad that the "pylon" module is not 100% compatible with orbiter 2010. This has forced me to end my work on STS Payloads. I spent many years on the STS Payloads addon, but i clearly stated about the reuse of any STSP items in any other addon. No harm really done but next time, an email of your intentions would have been nice.
Gazza

Marg

Reaction score
Last year in july I remembered that it was 10 years since Gazza announced the development of STS payloads...

Gazza

Reaction score
Last year in july I remembered that it was 10 years since Gazza announced the development of STS payloads...

Hi Marg
As it been that long? I was looking at my meshes in OpenGL mesh viewer, and they look quite outdated now( very low polys).
I did update some of the IUS ASE meshes some time ago, incase pylon got an update. I'm watching the SSU threads, as i believe this will have realistic satellite deployments.
I'm out the loop, as i had no ideal you could activate animations with the keyboard, without being focus on the actual vessel in SC3 ??

Thanks

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
It's pointless to discuss attribution when the problem is with OH.
The same way you indicate you add-on requires UCGO or SC3 (from a dropdown list) you should have some fields to indicate original / co-authors or dependent add-ons. As simple as that.
Forcing an add-on to have a single author is the source of the problem.

Anyway, this sort of release (with good intentions but mixing stuff from several authors) is best done on forum thread.
There are good examples of useful stuff released that way.

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It's pointless to discuss attribution when the problem is with OH.
The same way you indicate you add-on requires UCGO or SC3 (from a dropdown list) you should have some fields to indicate original / co-authors or dependent add-ons. As simple as that.
Forcing an add-on to have a single author is the source of the problem.
I posted an official issue ticket in the Site Support section on this: http://www.orbiter-forum.com/project.php?issueid=1174

Marg

Reaction score
Hi Marg
As it been that long? I was looking at my meshes in OpenGL mesh viewer, and they look quite outdated now( very low polys).
I did update some of the IUS ASE meshes some time ago, incase pylon got an update. I'm watching the SSU threads, as i believe this will have realistic satellite deployments.
I'm out the loop, as i had no ideal you could activate animations with the keyboard, without being focus on the actual vessel in SC3 ??

Thanks

Forgot how in SC3, but I know that David413 in the last shuttle fleet version incorporated some elements of activation with keyboard (like Shift-F8 etc.), to initiate IUS-ASE to set to pre-deployment attitude, and PAM-D separation procedures as well, without focus on vessels (only PAM-D "clamshells" had to be opened with focus on them).
And a couple of years ago I combined David's fleet with Thorton's ISS 3.2 - so that there are smoke clouds, max-Q effects during liftoff. Light sources during night launches are supported by Orbiter now, "STS payloads" workaround thankfully is obsolete...

Last edited: