Strange pc hardware behavior

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hi,
I did it and I've bought a new board and processor etc. to upgrate my PC.

Now I have a strange behavior:
With the on board graphic card, the pc has rebooted always in a loop.
After disconnecting the SATA controller, I was able to enter the bios.
When I pushed my graphic card onto the board and connected my monitor, the system was able to start. After disconnecting the monitors HDMI connector, the pc has rebooted.
But it was also rebooting sometimes when i connected an USB device in Windows. I also checked to boot a koppix from a CD, but the PC reboots also during booting knoppix on internal graphic card.

Playing some 3D games in Windows with pci graphic card is possible without rebooting...

I checked the CPU temperature and it seems to be ok... (arround 30°C)..

So I have two possibilities left what I'm thinking what could be wrong:
- The board has a defect

- The power adapter has a defect:
Maybe using the "on board graphic Card", the "main cable" to the board needs more current. By disconnecting the SATA Controller, the required current drops a bit and it works to enter the bios. When I disconnect the HDMI connector from the PCI graphic card, the board swiched to the internal graphic card which needs more power.

Using the PCIe graphic Cards works, because it's a seperate cable which goes into the power Adapter and maybe it's used another coil or another part of it...
So in any way, the board power supply could be relieved a bit...
The second point is just my Theorie, because I don't know how exactly the power adapter is working internaly...

Do you think both theories makes sence? Or are there other possibilities?

Last edited:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
You can estimate the power supply needs by adding what each component uses (online search might help). Then, if your PSU isn't capable of 1.2x that (or whatever the number was) to be on the safe side, you'll need a PSU with more James Watt inside. :lol:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
That does sound like a weak or unstable PSU. If the rating adds up, you can try opening it and looking for vented capacitors.