SSU Crawler Transporter development

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
While waitng for some required reference materials to arrive on the MLP and FSS/RSS, I decided to do something I have the required reference materials on: the Crawler Transporter.

The Crawler Transporter(CT) main chassis mesh is pretty much structurally complete, only lacking the Control Cabs.

After those are complete, I will start work on the 4 drive-trucks. Screenshots of the structurally complete CT is included.

Attachments

• CT_1A.jpg
    CT_1A.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 684
  • CT_1B.jpg
    CT_1B.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 680
  • CT_1C.jpg
    CT_1C.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 666
Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
After battling some GMAX related problems, the Control Cabs are done. I'll now focus on the four drive-trucks. I have also added the various decals on the main chassis, the US flags can be seen on Corners A and B. Still have to add the NASA logo right next to the flag on Corner B.

Attachments

• CT_2A.jpg
    CT_2A.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 665
  • CT_2B.jpg
    CT_2B.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 659
  • CT_2C.jpg
    CT_2C.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 636

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Nice, when can we take for a joy ride on I-95 ;)
Never! Well, you could if you don't worry about a possible criminal charge by the DOT as just one of the 4 drive trucks would completely destroy it! And the Crawler won't fit on a normal road, it's just too big!

There's total of 8 caterpillar tracks on each Crawler and each is the size of normal road! The Crawlerway median is about 50 ft across with the total width of the Crawlerway road being 143 ft.

Right next to it is a normal paved service road and it is 23 ft wide.

Each shoe of the caterpillar tracks weighs around 2,200 lbs and is 7.5 ft wide by 1.33 ft long by 0.83 ft high. There's 57 shoes per track.

In 2004 all of the shoes on both Crawlers was replaced due to age related problems on the original shoes. The 4 drive sprockets on each drive truck was also replaced with brand new units.

Attachments

• CT_3A.jpg
    CT_3A.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 663

gawinnard

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
desktopsimmer.blogspot.com
So, it's not quick then, and pretty useless as a gateway car ;)

I've been that I<--------------------->I far from one in 2005 on the KSC tour. Nice of the tour guide to park near one when they were moving it, slowly.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Now textured one half the Corner A drive-truck. Now going to work on the 4 propel motors.

Attachments

• CT_4A.jpg
    CT_4A.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 747

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
is this going to be drivable in orbiter ?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
is this going to be drivable in orbiter ?

Yes, but very limited, maybe even only automatic. It will also not support UMMU.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Yes, but very limited, maybe even only automatic. It will also not support UMMU.
I know that the Project Apollo guys have made a pretty nice Crawler, complete with VC positions, custom VesselSound and MeshLand support so that it can move up the pad ramp.

Only thing it lacks is a functional Jacking, Equalizing and Leveling system.

Main coder for this project was Tschachim.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
...and it can all be done by autoattach.

Says you and which army? It is not needed, all objects we create use DLLs, and attaching/detaching will happen internally. :lol:

The same with the payload system. The idea is, to keep SSU as much self-contained as possible, like AMSO for example. I am opposed to any basic installation requiring more than two packages.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Says you and which army? It is not needed, all objects we create use DLLs, and attaching/detaching will happen internally. :lol:

The same with the payload system. The idea is, to keep SSU as much self-contained as possible, like AMSO for example. I am opposed to any basic installation requiring more than two packages.
I agree, this will keep the confusion level low. SSU will handle stuff like this internally, so generic stuff is out.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I agree, this will keep the confusion level low. SSU will handle stuff like this internally, so generic stuff is out.

Well, except for payloads. I think about how good it would be to have a generic payload module to handle the various stuff you can put into a payload bay.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Well, except for payloads. I think about how good it would be to have a generic payload module to handle the various stuff you can put into a payload bay.
Wouldn't that still make SSU specific and therefore not generic?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Wouldn't that still make SSU specific and therefore not generic?

Well, generic as in "Many payloads can use the same module and add-on developers can supply new payloads by plain scripting". Also not too SSU specific, as you could of course also launch the payloads with other launchers - but you would loose features possible only with SSU.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Decided to skip the propel motors and go directly on to shoeing the Crawler. Going pretty nicely, got half of one belt complete.

Attachments

• CT_5A.jpg
    CT_5A.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 699
  • CT_5B.jpg
    CT_5B.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 696

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Looks good so far

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Anyone up to the challenge of getting the shoe belts animated?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Anyone up to the challenge of getting the shoe belts animated?

I know a way how to do this, but I am too scared to try. :lol:

Would require one complex animation per shoe, is not good for mental stability. Animating the groups in manual mode (clbkAnimate) would be more effective, but would still require you to calculate the movement of each shoe and apply the correct rotation and translation for each timestep.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I know a way how to do this, but I am too scared to try. :lol:

Would require one complex animation per shoe, is not good for mental stability. Animating the groups in manual mode (clbkAnimate) would be more effective, but would still require you to calculate the movement of each shoe and apply the correct rotation and translation for each timestep.
Well, if Tschachim gies us permission to use the Project Apollo 7 Crawler code, you could try it!

Shoe belt is now complete, see attached screenshots.

Attachments

• CT_6A.jpg
    CT_6A.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 666
  • CT_6B.jpg
    CT_6B.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 700

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Looks sweet Dave, I wonder if we'll get more than a slide show when the SSU is finished ?