Spike Makes it Back Alive

Spike Spiegel

Reaction score
I've finally managed to make a successful re-entry and glide-only (!) landing with both the DeltaGlider IV and the XR2. Blew up the XR2 on the first attempt, then dumped a bunch of fuel before the second attempt and controlled the AOA a bit better.

In both cases I was very close to the runway at KSC once I decelerated, so both landings involved a rather dramatic dive, but I didn't break anything. It's very satisfying sticking the landing without resorting to using the main engines.

I'm also posting this to give a shout out to the people who made my little adventure possible:

Jarmo Nikkanen and Gregorio Piccoli, whose BaseSync and AeroBrake MFDs enabled me to accurately visualize the re-entry trajectory. Good tools make for good pilots.

All the folks involved in creating Launch MFD; I don't think I've ever flown such an efficient manual ascent with the DGIV. I still need to work on the XR2 ascent.

Oceanic, for his DGIV re-entry video. I don't think I'd have known what to do otherwise.

The creators of the DGIV (DanSteph) and the XR2 (Doug Beachy, Steve Tyler) for some very fun ships.

And of course, the one and only Martin Schweiger for creating this great virtual world for all of us to play in.

Now.... Practice makes perfect!

Kveldulf

Reaction score
Congrats on the re-entry. I still remember the first time I came out of the atmosphere right on top of Wideawake. Definitely is a great feeling the first time you do it successfully.

As for your first attempt in the XR2, one thing few people use (from what I've noticed) is Aerobreak's graph display. It includes a graph of heat, so you can see in advance when your temperatures are going to spike, and for how long. Keep an eye on that, and you can dump some excess fuel earlier.

Ark

Reaction score
Congrats on the re-entry. I still remember the first time I came out of the atmosphere right on top of Wideawake. Definitely is a great feeling the first time you do it successfully.

Indeed, accurately hitting that postage stamp of a base from orbit is a cool feeling. :cheers:

Spike Spiegel

Reaction score
I was in fact watching the heat graph in AeroBrake. Watching in horror as a massive temperature spike approached while I was already near the ship's temperature redline.

The folks at KSC got a grim, yet spectacular, aerial display as the glowing remains of the XR2 streaked overhead at several times the speed of sound, then plunged into the carribean.

At least I didn't kill anyone on the ground....