Spacecraft3 query

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Hi all,

In Vinka's Spacecraft3, the Aerodynamic feature is supposed to allow defining "shuttle," "Delta-G," and "capsule" under MODEL for default values.

However, after digging through the Orbiter API reference for 2006, I see nothing to suggest this is still supported. Is this a remnant of the previous Orbiter version (Spacecraft3 was designed for 50126), or am I missing something.

I've tried using the MODEL=CAPSULE in an .ini file, but Orbiter crashes every time I bring my craft into the atmosphere.

GregBurch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hi all,

In Vinka's Spacecraft3, the Aerodynamic feature is supposed to allow defining "shuttle," "Delta-G," and "capsule" under MODEL for default values.

However, after digging through the Orbiter API reference for 2006, I see nothing to suggest this is still supported. Is this a remnant of the previous Orbiter version (Spacecraft3 was designed for 50126), or am I missing something.

I've tried using the MODEL=CAPSULE in an .ini file, but Orbiter crashes every time I bring my craft into the atmosphere.

Every time I've tried to use those, I get Bad Results. I think they must not be supported.

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
The capsule model isn't currently implemented. You have to use the other models and be experimental with the aerodynamic parameters to approximate what you want. If you put the wings/control surfaces forward of the vehicles center of gravity, it will fly backward like a capsule.

EDIT: Also, you can approximate a parachute with a very large speedbrake, and then link that to an animation for the visual effect.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
It is a capsule I'm working on. See pics here to see what I'm up to: http://orbiter-forum.com/showpost.php?p=38331&postcount=186

Tblaxland's coding the project in C++, but I find for the creating the rough draft Spacecraft3 is a nice way to go. I guess I'll have to do some more research into the aerodynamics of capsules so I can implement it via SC3 before turning it over to Tblaxland.

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
Code:
[AERODYNAMICS]
VAIRFOIL_ATTACK=(0,0,0.5)
VAIRFOIL_CHORD=3
VAIRFOIL_AREA=20
VAIRFOIL_ASPECT=0.5
VAIRFOIL_C0=5
HAIRFOIL_WAVE_DRAG = 5
HAIRFOIL_ATTACK=(0,-.1,0.5)
HAIRFOIL_CHORD=3
HAIRFOIL_AREA=20
HAIRFOIL_ASPECT=0.5
HAIRFOIL_C0=5
HAIRFOIL_WAVE_DRAG = 5
AILERON_AREA=.01
AILERON_LIFT=0
ELEVATOR_AREA=.01
ELEVATOR_LIFT=0
ELEVATOR_ATTACK=(0,0,0)
RUDDER_AREA=.1
RUDDER_LIFT=0
RUDDER_ATTACK=(0,0,0)
SPEEDBRAKE_DRAG=400
SPEEDBRAKE_ATTACK=(0,0,2)
SPEEDBRAKE_ANIM=0
Here are the aerodynamics for my capsule in my NLSSTO project. Feel free to use as a basis.

NLSSTO4.JPG

EDIT: This is for a 5050 kg spacecraft. You may need to adjust them to correct for your spacecraft's size and weight.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Eagle!

You're my newest hero! Thanks, and I'll paste the code into my .ini file immediately.

Thanks all for such quick responses.

Cheers

Edit: After seeing your edit, Eagle, I see that modifications will indeed be necessary. I've designed the Tortoise capsule to be closer to 20,000 kg. Still, it's a fabulous snippet you've handed over. This will save me SOOOOOO much time.

Last edited: