OHM Space Network Plugin

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: fred18

The Space Network plugin recreates the Network of Tracking and Data Relay Satellite System and Ground Tracking Station for both near Earth communication and Deep Space communication and simulate interaction of the current vehicle in the simulation with the Network.

Main Features:
  • Works with every vessel in Orbiter
  • Adds realism to the simulation
  • Easy to use
  • Creates two antennas for every vehicle and calculate the signal for each of them in different manner
  • Already contains data for the real major tracking stations, deep space network stations and TDRS satellite
  • Display also information and coverage areas on the earth's map
  • Bases and satellites fully customizable
  • High gain antenna direction customizable for every vessel in Orbiter
  • Compute also Loss of signal in orbits around celestial bodies different than Earth
Thanks to Pete Conrad from ForumOrbiterItalia for the mesh of the TDRS-ASVI and to the community for beta testing

Information for ground stations and TDRS were found on internet (wikipedia and Nasa websites).

For any issue or comments contact me

ciao!

Fred18

01/08/2013 Small Update: I recompiled the module in "release" mode, in order to solve some compatibility issue, now should work on every system

DOWNLOAD

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
Doesn't working, missing file.
It has been built in "Debug" configuration.

Please rebuild the project with using "Release" configuration. People shouldn't be forced to download the debug libraries to make it work.

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

If you're savvy enough, get the file and install it manually.

The installer that site provided ran an unauthorized registry scan that I had to use the three finger salute to stop, after it put the dll on my system. Needless to say, I'm running my own tools through registry et. al. to see what else happened. :facepalm:

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

...at least it actually did what it said it was going to do, and it installed the DLL. :shrug:

---------- Post added at 11:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 PM ----------

...I'm better now. :) On the addon itself-- I really like it, and want to echo what Mav and Sam have said. :)

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
If you're savvy enough, get the file and install it manually.
Or better report the issue and wait for the fixed release.

Debug libraries weren't created for the end user but only for developers, and that's why they aren't available in any Visual C++ redistributable packages. The proper way to install them is by installing Visual Studio Development Environment / C++ Compiler (VS2010 / VC++ Express 2010 in this case). And even though you'd have Visual Studio, the debug builds would be fully usable only with the source and PDB files. Otherwise they are released just by a mistake.

mvronsky

Reaction score
Awesome addon!!!
Adds a lot of realism
It's nice how the satellites are also included in the simulation

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

thank you for the congrats :tiphat:

It has been built in "Debug" configuration.

Please rebuild the project with using "Release" configuration. People shouldn't be forced to download the debug libraries to make it work.

ooohh finally i found out why there was this issue that some people were experiencing! :thumbup:

Thank you very much for your suggestion, i just recompiled in the release configuration and updated it on OH, now should work on every machine! :hailprobe:

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Excellent! Goes very well with the HST-Ex, which I shall have to update on OH with TDRS and TS tracking antennae. Thanks :thumbup:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Here is mode1bravo's Apollo era Manned Space Flight Network reworked for Space Network Plugin. Back up your config files first.

I left everything in, including the ARIA tracking aircraft and tracking ships, even though those were not in place for the entire mission duration, and might have been in totally different locations for missions other than Apollo 11.

If it isn't to difficult, since the plugin generates the tracking stations only when the button is pressed anyway, I would recommend that a future version let the user have a choice between the configs used to generate the network. That way, default, Apollo, Russian, ESA, etc. networks could all exist simultaneously without the user having to replace configs in the directory.

Also, just curious, what logic is used to switch to the DSN? I tested a flight to 400Mm, and was still using the tracking stations.

Attachments

• ApolloMannedSpaceFlightNetwork.zip
    2 KB · Views: 49

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thank you!

I think you should upload it directly to OH :cheers:

If it isn't to difficult, since the plugin generates the tracking stations only when the button is pressed anyway, I would recommend that a future version let the user have a choice between the configs used to generate the network. That way, default, Apollo, Russian, ESA, etc. networks could all exist simultaneously without the user having to replace configs in the directory.

I had the same idea in these days when this option came out. I will include it in the next release.

Also, just curious, what logic is used to switch to the DSN? I tested a flight to 400Mm, and was still using the tracking stations.

Well you should have gone 1 meter further: the switch to DSN happens exactly at 400.000 km :thumbup:

This was chosen to include moon operations inside nominal groundtrack.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Uploading to OH would mean we would have to wait for approval.

I would recommend that the switch distance to the DSN be specified in the config files somehow. You might be correct for the modern era. The article I read said that the Manned Space Flight Network needed special equipment to cover above 16,000 km, and those were only at a few sites along the post-TLI ground track. Lunar operations used only the three long-range "DSN" antenna sites: Honeysuckle, Goldstone, and Madrid.

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Uploading to OH would mean we would have to wait for approval.

for small files it's immediate, the plugin took 0 seconds to be uploaded.

I would recommend that the switch distance to the DSN be specified in the config files somehow.

Yep, i will probably create a general config file for the plugin with all this information to be specified

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
for small files it's immediate, the plugin took 0 seconds to be uploaded.

That's because you had uploaded to OHM earlier. Members who haven't had other add-ons at OHM need to wait for their first upload to be approved by the OHM administrator (and this can be between a couple of minutes and a couple of days).

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
No pressure as I understand that you are working on a .dll launcher, but do you still plan to update?