OHM Space hotel v0.2.1

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: pipcard

A futuristic space hotel based on a proposal by the Shimizu Corporation. It has 64 guest rooms, 40 staff rooms, and a public recreational area. The 140-m diameter ring rotates at 3 rpm to produce an artificial gravity of 0.7 G.

More information can be found here: http://www.shimz.co.jp/english/theme/dream/spacehotel.html

v0.2 adds four more docking ports, bringing the total to six.

v0.2.1 fixes the scenarios so that they are in the "Space Hotel" folder

Installation/instructions

- Extract this .zip file to your Orbiter folder. Scenarios are located in "Space Hotel". Press K to toggle the ring rotation. 

Thanks to Martin Schweiger for creating Orbiter, vinka for creating spacecraft3, Artlav for creating the Spacecraft3 to DLL&C++ converter, and Hielor for creating the Wings3D .msh exporter.

DOWNLOAD

paddy2

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If this is just the Version 0.1, the finished product will be awesome.

You need to set the docking freq via scenario editor but that's easy done.
A very nice model indeed. I like the way function is mapped to different areas while the whole model still looks the part. i.e. docking well away from the power which is away from the sleeping area.
Thanks

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
This is pretty much the finished product, though. There might be some room for detail improvement for some parts of the mesh but I wanted those parts to have a simple mesh as possible so that the .msh wouldn't take too long to export from Wings3D. (or maybe I can? It might take only 5 more minutes -just a guess - to export)

It's just a habit of mine to name the first release "v0.1" no matter how "complete" it is.

Last edited:

paddy2

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Get the point about exports.. my machine often quotes "Not Responding" while doing an export, still completes no problem.

Was not having a dig about it being unfinished but with a name which includes 0.1 in the title, you kind of are telling us you have a few more tricks up your sleeve.

One thing that did occur to me ... with some 100 plus on board, might need more than 2 docking "tubes"

Still a very fine model

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It only has two docking ports because the picture on Shimizu's site kind of looks that way, and they're ultimately meant for 50-passenger spacecraft such as the Kankoh-maru.

edit: but I'm considering adding four more docking ports at the docking platform (meaning up to six Delta-gliders or XR2s can dock)

Last edited:

Keatah

Reaction score
Textures! This would look good with textures. Maybe V2.0 could have textures?

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
I couldn't care about textures, I'm more concerned about functionality, personally. Maybe a scenario from Negishima in a later update? :)

Nice to know that those DGs can still be flown, though.

picture.php

picture.php

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Shimizu says it's 3 rpm, which is one rotation every 20 seconds.

Shimizu's math is correct. The equation for artifitial gravity through rotation is:
[math]g=\frac{R(\frac{\pi\cdot rpm}{30})^2}{9.81} [/math]g = Decimal fraction of Earth gravity
R = Radius from center of rotation in meters
rpm = revolutions per minute

Rearranging for rpm, given R=70 and g=0.7
[math] rpm=\frac{30\cdot \sqrt{\frac{9.81 \cdot 0.7}{70}}}{\pi} = 2.991[/math]

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
I used a calculator online for GWS. I like the larger diameter, and slower spin rate. I put in a full 1G, I'm wondering why they decided to go with .7? Would you think there would be less accelleration affects with a larger stable zone from floor to ceiling?

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm wondering why they decided to go with .7?

My guess is that it's a simple compromise between feeling almost full gravity for the guests and not stress the structure too much

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
I used a calculator online for GWS. I like the larger diameter, and slower spin rate. I put in a full 1G, I'm wondering why they decided to go with .7? Would you think there would be less accelleration affects with a larger stable zone from floor to ceiling?

First time I tried this out, I thought, Oh my, it's going quite fast...

I think that if it rotated any more faster, it would be dangerous for the structure in general. I mean, what exactly makes that ring spin? I would think that the mechanism could be a critical component you don't want to fail. Because the resulting torque might damage the superstructure.

...just a thought.

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Very nice addon pipcard!

One suggestion: why don't you make it ummu (and ucgo) compatble? It's really easy if you follow the dansteph tutorial and the hotel will have guests inside! :)

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Well it's a converted SC3 craft, adding UCGO wouldn't be a simple addition.

For guests, there if UMMUFA that can be easily implimented by the user.

paddy2

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
How much of a hit would the frame rate / overall performance take if you where to add 60 UCGO holiday makers.....? maybe not such a good idea.