Space Agency of Australia Proposal - Aussies please read

In what manner will you participate in this project?

• Become a founding member

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Become a sponsor (direct capital or sponsor liason)

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Become an employee (astronaut, engineer etc.)

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Become a distant advisor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Become a spectator

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

davewave

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi folks.
Some of you may recognise me from the Orbiter side of this website. Well finally i'm moving onto the real stuff but first a few thoughts.

Firstly, being a hobbiest in Australia is one of the most hardest things to do. There is only One supplier of KNO3 in australia that I can find. Why is it that the americans sell rockets at every toy store but Australia just suck.

Secondly, If I want to make the body and more importantly the engine, I will have the cast it out of steel myself because unlike america, we just don't have the local mill down the road to do it for us. Our infrastructure here sucks because we rely too much on China for everything. Only problem is, the end consumer doesn't get a say in what gets imported and so seeing as there isn't a huge demand for rocketry, its near impossible to source the materials.

So I have two school of thoughts I would like you to consider:

1) I can work my ass off creating my own smelting tools as well as purification proccess for making fuels or....

2) I would like to put together an organisation that would Rival NASA and become australias own space agency.

Now I feel that idea 2 has a better long term prosepective. Now I know what you are all thinking but hear me out.
Many heads together can make a brick fly no matter the background.
Just because some of us may be amateur rocket scientists doesn't mean our day jobs are any less fullfilling.

I'm sure there are accoutants, plumbers, business men and women, nurses and doctors who would hold this as a dream and something worth investing in. I myself am very successful in my medical industry and am happy to devote my own capital to this project.

------------------------
Primarily this project would consist of australian citizens but donations and contributions externally would always be welcome.

-------------------------
The proposal:
A team of adult australians would come together in person or by video conference on a frequent basis to organise the following facets of this agency:

1) Funding -> Either by direct capital investment or sourcing an external sponsor (hence the need for business men/women)
2) Agency Actions -> Including publicity and recruitment (once again, a field of expertise not requiring rocket science background)
3) Craft design -> Engineering, building and launching of rocket craft to pursue higher goals in human exploration of space
4) Aeronautic school -> Future endevours leading towards manned space flights requires a training program (orbitnauts of the higest caliber would be asked to assist)
--------------------------

So you are probably wandering how do we get off the ground.
All you need to do is email/pm your expression of interest in having an initial meeting (via internet conference) to discuss ideas of establishing an agency.
The hardest part which may also be the easiest part will be in convincing corporations why they should invest in us. As such, we need to be represented by the best australia has to offer. Even though we may be founded by a team of amateur orbinauts, our ability to source academics, students and engineers will help give us validity as a professional rocket team.
It is my strongest belief (if Virgin is any example) that government no longer feels the drive to fund space missions. It is in financial gain that missions to space will be funded.
If I told you that one day ordinary people will pay $20000 for a trip to your hotel in space where that sell only exclusive products like cocacola or mcdonalds, then you can see how this would tempt more then just one financial interest.

If you are having doubts right now I ask that you either focus on the bigger picture and all we can achieve as inspiration or that you focus on the right now and how easy it is for 10 guys to meet in a chat room and talk about space travel.

The choice is yours but I'm damn excited.

Oh and there's one more thing before I go.
This might be my idea, but any founding members will get an equal share in its credibility, fame and glory as well as acknowledgment that their contribution was as much their idea as it was mine.

Cheers.
David Friedman

ryan

That guy
Reaction score
I think Australia is really sport prone and when i see hobby shops it only model cars, which are pretty cool to an extinct.
Also im only 16 but i guess i have a vast knowledge in aeronautics and historical areonautical vessels that could help in future things and i took a tour of an RAAF base and i took 9 Gs without passing out, then i got acquainted with a rubbish bin :lol:. When i go to Canberra on the 30th i could inquire when i go to the CSIRO about what there doing or done in space, it must work becuase i'm watching Foxtel:p.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
2) I would like to put together an organisation that would Rival NASA and become australias own space agency.
You are talking about a hobbiest organisation here, aren't you? If you are aiming that high, why not get involved with ASRI?

davewave

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You are talking about a hobbiest organisation here, aren't you? If you are aiming that high, why not get involved with ASRI?

I just feel that ASRI doesn't take things seriously and that once again its the whole "oh help us please, we want to make a difference" plea rather then actually building stronger foundations for space flight.

Nerull

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So, groups with real money, real engineers, real ideas have a hard time getting funding...and you think they're going to dish out money to a few guys in a garage with no clue what they are doing?

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
I just feel that ASRI doesn't take things seriously and that once again its the whole "oh help us please, we want to make a difference" plea rather then actually building stronger foundations for space flight.
Well, they are actually launching rockets twice a year and you can even buy a payload launch on one if you want to: http://asri.org.au/web/SSRP. How is that different to what you propose? Have you at least tried talking to them? They were kind enough to help me out with some information on the old LA-6 at Woomera recently, and they did so very promptly.

Someone else you might be interested in: http://www.lunarnumbat.org/