Idea South Atlantic Anomaly

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I have an idea of simulating some effects of [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Atlantic_Anomaly"]South Atlantic Anomaly[/ame].

ROSAT_SAA.gif

Inside simulation it can randomally turn on and off MFD's, mess with MFDs and other systems (RCS bursts, hud visual artifacts), maybe some "visual effects" like flashes reported by astronauts over the area.

Any thoughts?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Interesting..... I'd imagine that most kit would be shielded but I like the idea of the visual effects.

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
RCS bursts

SEP-008, much? :lol:

I like the idea; if (and this is expanding into my VERY limited knowledge and understanding of code) the SAA is treated in Orbiter like a child object with physical/dimensional properties, it wouldn't take that much to code a satellite to gain useful data from it (VARIS, for example); if anything but a rem count, or something similar.

If that's the case, I wonder if it'd be possible to vary the amount of manifest 'anomalies' that occur within the simulation state given the vessel's orbital position AND the state of solar max/minimum? I imagine it'd require a few more variables to be defined and called, but . . . :hmm:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm currently writing the module logic (in pseudocode).

It will check for position (eq ref) and then use altitude table to determine particle flux. After that it will "roll a dice" and modify result with particle flux to determine possible failures.

I'm also thinking about line added to vessel cfg file, which would describe shield strenght of particular vessels - that way you can use less shielded and more shielded vessels to play with.

Wikipedia said:
The International Space Station, orbiting with an inclination of 51.6°, requires extra shielding to deal with this problem.

As for visual effects, they may be rendered on hud and some.

I just wonder if you find this idea worthy of pursuing.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Why just SAA? Why not the entire VanAllen belt(s)?

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'll investigate that possibility

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
I like this! Now we'll have to plan our flights to account for this:)