Request SOS Scenarios

Carmen A

redneck kitten with pillow :3
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
Do you have quicksaves with your ship in an emergency situation, such as a damaged and overheating XR5 low on fuel and oxygen in a steep dive towards Earth?

As my flight time is limited these days I'd like to see if you have any declared emergencies to share (or make some) so I can put them into multiplayer as challenge scenarios :3

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
Too bad i haven't saved the situation with XR2 systems died because of overheating right a few seconds before lowering the landing gears during final approach to Habana. It was 'what the....?????!!!!!" situation, but I've managed to land it on belly.

Wonder would it be possible to manage such landing if systems would crash at, let's say, 30 km altitude?

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
I was able to control XR2 for some account. Maybe elevons aren't affected by system overheating crash?

Carmen A

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
Or it has a manual reversal backup like A-10 :)

If you use a HOTAS / joystick setup and program it by the Flybywire addon then the stick bypasses the XR subsystems completely. So you can still maneuver with the APU off and etc.

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
Or it has a manual reversal backup like A-10 :)

If you use a HOTAS / joystick setup and program it by the Flybywire addon then the stick bypasses the XR subsystems completely. So you can still maneuver with the APU off and etc.

So I've been cheating! What a pity, I thought I'm a hero...:facepalm:

Carmen A

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
I had an XR5 shutting down over the Indonesian jungle and during the emergency VTOL landing attempt the crew died of hypoxia due to cabin hatch failure. The ship lost power totally but managed to set down intact and undamaged somehow.

So re-entry scenario with limited oxygen, little fuel (maybe one more burn left), bad trajectory and systems overheating would be very good practise. I think actual physical damage to control surfaces might make the entry attempt unsurvivable. If the ship tumbles during entry, that's it.

Or it can be survivable provided I make a 100 deg AoA powered entry at 90 degree roll, which means wings parallel to airflow and drop down ballistically.

Another scenario with landing a loaded XR2 (weight penalty) with both wings at or around 50% integrity, which will train for situations demanding very high approach speed. Such as like landing a Tu154 :)

Last edited:

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
Heeeeey! I've just reproduced the situation I've mentioned and I've found I'm a hero! But of a stupid kind.
First of, the only system being overridden by fly-by-wire in my configuration is elevator trimmer. I left main axes for Orbiter joystick setup, so these axes are working exactly as they should.
Second, system overheating does not stop the APU, so elevons are online all the way. You can also manipulate any other hydraulic systems like hatches and (!!!)gears. Looks like I've paniced there over Habana and never tried to lower gears.
Looks like the only things affected by overheating are all kinds of MFDs. HUD keeps working fine.

Even autopilots are working.

Last edited:

Carmen A

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
Just be careful as the life support system is not working. If you overheat during re entry it can be difficult to bring it down in time under 10,000 ft and pop the cabin hatch for ventilation.

Snake

Reaction score
I got a funny SOS yesterday, i was seeing if I could reach an orbit with the XR5 in expert settings with 800 tons of cargo. Why? So it could refuel an Arrow 18 in one go :thumbup:, so I strapped a lot of SRM to manage the climb to scram altitude to conserve my fuel.

I got the right configuration of SRMs but the one problem is, if the dynamic pressure fall too low on the ascent, the SRMs will make the XR5 roll over...

That's exactly what is happening in that scenario :lol:, good luck getting the XR5, and it's cargo, back to WIN.

In the zip is the scenario, and a modified XR Parts cargo with 25 tons each, to simulate the cargo weight of refueling the Arrow, don't worry, it'll not overwrite anything.

BTW, getting to orbit with that cargo on expert is doable with some default Velcro Rockets and 3x scram ISP. It was funny as hell :rofl:, and i'm loving messing up with those RATO loadouts of yours Carmen A, thanks!

Attachments

• XR5-ER100 - SRM Test Flight gone wrong.zip
    6.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Carmen A

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
I have got to try that out. It's like some some of my redneck pilots saying "yeah lets try adding 200 more tons of cargo for better profit margin".

Would love to try and RTLS the thing later with all 800 tons of cargo. Or would you freak out and dump them all in the sea?

Snake

Reaction score
While I was testing the SRM loadouts, the first time I got into this rollover i dumped the cargo overboard then landed safely, it was so desperate it was funny:rofl:.

Then I tried landing with the cargo in one piece, it's harder than I thought, broke the landing gear several times... but got a few OK landings.