Solid rocket propellant using wax

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
Firstly, I've never done anything with model rockets, so don't have any experience in this area. However, recently I've been reading about sugar/KNO3 as a home-made propellant that's not bad.

I was wondering whether it would be possible to make a similar propellant (using KNO3 as the oxidiser), but using paraffin wax (candle wax) as the fuel. I would have thought that the wax would have plenty of energy to provide as fuel and the lower melting point would mean that it's much easier/safer to cast. However, there isn't much mention of this on the internet, so I assume that it wouldn't work, otherwise people would be using it.

Can anyone offer any ideas/experience as to whether it would work or not and if not, why?

Tommy

Reaction score
Not sure about wax, I suspect it would melt faster than it burned and run out the nozzle. Some sort of binding agent may be required. As an off-beat suggestion, I'd try very rusty steel wool.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Wax has been used in jet engines and it worked well.

your only problem is going to be getting it hot enough to gassify.

First desolve the wax in xylene or benzene to saturation point, mix in celulose(ground newsprint of wood flower) to form a paste, then add your oxydizer,(KNO3, NH4ClO4, KCLO4 ,LiClO4). let the benzene or xylene partialy evaporate. and you have your propellent.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score

SpaceNut

Reaction score
Didn't the Mythbusters make a solid rocket using parafin wax for fuel?

Hell Yeah they did!!! And it ROCKED!!

Some plumbing parts, paraffin wax and nitrous oxide. It went 1500 yards, which was well short of the 120 mile myth they were busting, but either way, it was HELL of a mean launch.