Solar eclipse

supersonic

Add-on Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
fsxpilots.webs.com
Looking at Celestia I found out that there is going to be a solar eclipse July 11th for the USA.

bwog

Reaction score
That's when the moon covers the sun, correct?

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
The eclipse is not visible from the USA, not even partially. Easter Island is the best bet, or you can just catch the end of it from South America.
SE2010Jul11T.GIF

TSE2010-fig01.GIF

Your next opportunity in the states is in 2017.
TSENorAm2001.gif

bwog

Reaction score
The eclipse is not visible from the USA, not even partially. Easter Island is the best bet, or you can just catch the end of it from South America.
SE2010Jul11T.GIF

TSE2010-fig01.GIF

Your next opportunity in the states is in 2017.
TSENorAm2001.gif
Aw, man :(

Well, it's only a 5 hour drive to Kansas City... At least until they remove the speed limits on the interstates :lol:

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
This eclipse will be best viewed from Easter Island and the Cook Islands - I would love to go and see it (I barely remember the 1999 partial eclipse (I was 5) in the UK) but I'm afraid I won't :(

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
This eclipse will be best viewed from Easter Island and the Cook Islands - I would love to go and see it (I barely remember the 1999 partial eclipse (I was 5) in the UK) but I'm afraid I won't :(
Of course, a solar eclipse is not the only reason to visit to the Cook Islands...
1187896-View_From_My_Room-Cook_Islands.jpg

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Nice APOD's :thumbup:
Also, I wonder why we call the Moon covering the Sun a Solar eclipse, and the Earth covering the Moon a Lunar eclipse?
Because it refers to the object being eclipsed from the observer's perspective? Occultation is a much less ambiguous method of describing the situation though.

bujin

Reaction score

That makes me feel old... :cry:

I went to Cornwall for the 1999 eclipse.

It came as no real surprise that it was cloudy that day! Some people at the next campsite down the road managed to catch a glimpse of the eclipse through a gap in the clouds, but I saw nuffink.

Still, it's an eerie experience watching the shadow racing towards you over the tops of the clouds, then having all the wildlife go absolutely silent!

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
That makes me feel old... :cry:

I went to Cornwall for the 1999 eclipse.

It came as no real surprise that it was cloudy that day! Some people at the next campsite down the road managed to catch a glimpse of the eclipse through a gap in the clouds, but I saw nuffink.

Still, it's an eerie experience watching the shadow racing towards you over the tops of the clouds, then having all the wildlife go absolutely silent!

There was a flight to see it - I saw this on TV (the bit at the start, and also around 3:30):

I have a feeling that I will get hooked on seeing eclipses later :)