Small UMMU Plane Development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
This is what I am working on until I decide what to do with the Mars Rover.
This is a Small UMMU jet plane that can hold about 30 Ummu's at the moment not much has been done because I need some help with making some thing but this is what I have done so far
showphoto.php

Wing_Pic.jpg

ok the thing I need help with is the amount I need to Taper the wing to make it look like a wing at the edge

Last edited:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
:speakcool:

What planet is the plane supposed to work on?

ok the thing I need help with is the amount I need to Taper the wing to make it look like a wing at the edge

What program are you using?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I am going to make it as good as I can :) but all the orbiter stuff is limited by what my Coder can do :)

EDIT1: I am using 3DS Max 2009 and its built for Earth
EDIT2: I already have the Wing Profile its just the edge I need help modelling
EDIT3: any one who knows of some free 3ds max tutorials can you send me a link ? PM me so you don't clutter this Thread

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I am going to make it as good as I can :) but all the orbiter stuff is limited by what my Coder can do :)

Learn coding, it is not like you have a lack of examples. ;)

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I would learn it but last time I tried it looked too complex at most I can edit a bit of LUA code but I cannot do C++

EDIT1: I might just do some Winglets at the end of the wing

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I would learn it but last time I tried it looked too complex at most I can edit a bit of LUA code but I cannot do C++

C++ is actually a very simple language, but it's simplicity is the tricky part. It is like go: Simple rules, complex results. ;) But unlike Perl, banging your head against the keyboard does not produce a working program.

But you don't need to learn all tricks and language structures to do orbiter add-ons. Just start at the example code in the samples folder of OrbiterSDK. Nobody expects you to write NASSP again. ;)

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
ok well for at least this addon I am just going to Ask Gattispilot to code it again and I need help with some thing else in the modelling program I use. What's the best way to make the body and nose ? lines or Cylinders ?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
ok well for at least this addon I am just going to Ask Gattispilot to code it again and I need help with some thing else in the modelling program I use. What's the best way to make the body and nose ? lines or Cylinders ?

I would use a combination of both. The main fuselage will very likely be simpler with cylinders, the nose instead with laths.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
ok I will try to do the nose now and how do I change wear the X,Y,Z Manipulator is ? at the moment its far away from the Center of my model

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
it's called a pivot point in max, look it up in your manual it's well covered... doesn't help if you don't know what max calls it though eh?;)

I can't remember the last time i started a wing with a cylinder, probably in my amiga days. I find box modelling with subdivision surfaces works much better, or simply building the fuselage and extruding out at the right place... I'd only use a cylinder if i wanted something perfectly cylindrical. Sub division modelling (look up 'Turbosmooth') is also great for blending a wing into a fuselage... try it on your existing model... the wing will be really dense after subdividing (so you'd start with a more simple structure... but you should get the idea. Sub'ds also mean that you never have to bugger around with splines to make smooth complex shapes, which are imho, a really hateful, overly difficult and non intuitive way of modelling...

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
ok thanks for telling me that :) I will have a look at it in a bit first I am going make a quick space Render
EDIT1: the wing was not a cylinder it started as a Line then I extruded it Tapered it and Skewed it to make it look like it does now
EDIT2: this is kind of Off Topic but what is a cellular map ?
EDIT3:Found it

Last edited:

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
its a procedural map - like perlin noise - used for generating cellular looking 'images' that you can apply to surfaces.

Procedurals are quite interesting & useful things in 3d art, put enough of them together you can generate whole planets with them... but its not a huge amount of use in making orbiter addons imho.... there's no way orbiter can make direct use of procedurals, afaik.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Yes I know that I was just working on some thing else I was doing this (The world's worst 3d render)
attachment.php

Attachments

• Space Render 1.jpg
    Space Render 1.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 125

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
I'm not sure that even qualifies as 3d.. since there doesn't seem to be any 3d elements in there...

are you using procedural noise for the stars btw? it works, but only for stills if you make an animation with that, it'll go nuts. There's a star plugin in max vp effects (video post queue) that gives you the constellations and its basically a similar thing to how orbiter generates stars.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
There is 3D in there well they are particles but still they are 3d make it bigger than look for grey things they are asteroids also how can I make that a animation ? its set up to have rotation but how do I animate it ?

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
follow some of the animation tutorials that come with max. also look up "3 point lighting" on the internet and "point lights" in your manual... "direct lights" would be best, make sure you have shadows switched on.

get your lighting right, your asteroids looking like asteroids, then you can animate them and make a nice looking movie. Id recommend using your asteroid mesh as instanced geometry in a particle emitter - super spray would probably work well. then the emitter will spit out asteroids on demand.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
ok :) at the moment my Asteroids are GeoSphere's with a Noise applied to them
EDIT1: a Tutorial I am reading is saying to press the Animate button wear is it ?

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
ok I think its for 3DS max 4.0
EDIT1: also how do I split a mesh ?

Status
Not open for further replies.