Status
Not open for further replies.

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
yes, somewhere i remember back in the mists of time i remember the animate button.

lol..

animate button.

never mind... btw, when i was talking about animation tutorials i said you should follow the ones that came with your copy of max, they're very good and will obviously be suited to your copy of max.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
ok I will go and have a look at them then and if its the kind of animation I think it is I can do it any way it looks like the same thing as the Track View in Crysis
EDIT1: yes I was correct :) its the Exact same thing

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
ok... remember if you want to do lots of asteroids, use a "super spray" just look it up, its easy to use.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
ok :) Thanks for helping me :) my models should soon look less like Bricks
EDIT1: how do I use the Slice tool ? I have the plane selected but its still 1 object

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
np, for your asteroids try using displacement you can use noise maps or a tiling image of rocks to displace the surface of your meshes (turbosmooth them or tesselate them) into a fairly convincing 'roid.

This is a test animation from last year...
http://www.scifi-meshes.com/coolhand/Videos/Foxhound_2208_flyby.avi

I'm pretty sure i made those by making a cube, subdividing it a few times... well, here's a screenshot of the modifier stack and my asteroid material...

Attachments

• asteroids.jpg
    asteroids.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 38
  • asteroids_tutepic.jpg
    asteroids_tutepic.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 40

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
That asteroid is just a box just 6 polygons, the bend gives it an unusual shape and each noise modifier has different settings, high settings for large hills and smaller for the other undulations. the displacement just adds some fine detail which makes it feel more like actual rocks, though it's possible to do much better, these were very hurriedly done... just shows you that you don't need to actually model an asteroid since its essentially a fractal shape - it can all be done with noise and maths... though the maths is all done for you;)

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
I like his craters... heh. but his shader looks very plasticy and the roids are kinda lacking in detail. still its the same type of process really.

If you have to get your hands dirty and really sculpt an asteroid, i've seen some good ones made with mudbox - a sculpting application - though max has its own 'paint deformation' features that does kinda the same thing and might be useful. you need to work at a high level of subdivision to make that work nicely though.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I am closing this thread for now Look at the other UMMU plane thread for the development of my plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.