Slipstring Drive Theory

Nexiss

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi All

Something I came accross on the web, opinions and idea's please.

Article:
First, a brief explanation of M-Theory. M-Theory was created to solve all the problems that arose from String Theory (Quantum Mechanics). Both these theories posit the existence of higher spatial dimensions beyond the fourth (which is time). M-Theory goes all the way up to 11 Dimensions. Don’t let the word “higher” fool you, these dimensions are infinitely small, so small in fact, they don’t exist, at least not on our plane of existence. If the 7 higher dimensions don’t exist in our universe, how can they possibly be related to us in any way? The answer is…cosmic strings. Cosmic strings “run through” all 10 spatial dimensions and the time dimension, they are smaller than the smallest quantum particles in our universe, the Quarks, and they are the true building blocks of reality. There’s an old saying “Everything we see around us is merely a protrusion from a higher dimension” (or words to that effect). That saying is old, and predates even General Relativity, but it’s smack bang on the money. Cosmic Strings “vibrate”, and their vibrations in the higher dimensions effect how we perceive them in our dimensions, this is called string harmonics. Everything is made of strings, and if a string vibrates a certain way in the higher dimensions, we get a hydrogen atom, if it vibrates at another frequency, we get Helium and so on and so forth. This part of M-Theory isn’t really the lynch pin of SlipString Drive (so you can forget it if you want), but the next part is:
This means that no part of the universe is empty, since for even Vacuum to exist, there needs to be cosmic strings, this “String Medium” is like an extremely tenuous liquid or “membrane”, for better understanding, it helps to know that this is often referred to as the “Fabric of Space”, which makes it easier to understand. Imagine your finger is a spaceship (come on, we’ve all done it), now imagine placing it on a tablecloth, pressing firmly against the table underneath. Now move your finger forward and you will see the cloth bunches up in front of you and if becomes more and more difficult to move your finger. According to M-Theory, this is what happens when you accelerate to the speed of light, and is why it is so difficult. The String Medium “bunches up” on the front of an accelerating object, the faster you go, the more resistance the String Medium provides, until you hit 99% the speed of light, the String Medium is dragging on you so much, your ship has infinite mass, and you would need infinite energy to go that little bit faster. Cosmic Strings are like quartz crystals in a watch, and their vibrations also control the passage of time, if they are all compressed on the front of your ship, they don’t have much room to vibrate, and thus do so slower than the rest of the universe, which is why you would experience time dilation.
Keeping up so far? lol
Righto. So far we’ve established that the fabric of space is basically a “fluidic” medium of strings. If you imagine a bowl of water with a tennis ball in it. Spinning the tennis ball causes the water around it to eventually spiral into a whirlpool and removing the ball creates a “vacuum” which the water floods into, when the water meets, it ripples back outward. This happens in space as well, though space is more “jelly like” than water. Put it like this, the water in your bowl has very weak surface tension, your tennis ball punches straight through it and displaces the water, animals like pondskaters don’t break the surface tension, but they do create a “dent” in it. Well, the “surface tension” of the String Medium, is strong enough to hold up planets, stars and even black holes, but all of them make “dents” in the surface (if you think of it as flat). This creates Gravity. A spinning object (such as the Earth) creates the same whirlpool ripples in the medium. These are called Gravitational Waves (I’ll shorten that to G-Waves).
This is perhaps the most complicated part of the whole thing to explain and unfortunately, it is essential to understanding SlipString Drive, which is based completely around G-Waves.
The Sun, is 8 light minutes away, G-Waves travel, like everything else, at the speed of light. If the sun were to suddenly disappear, the space if occupies would “spring” back up. But it’s gravity well is much bigger than that, so a gravity wave forms, as the wave passes a region of space once distorted by the sun, it returns to normal. 7 minutes and 59 seconds after the sun is gone, we would still be orbiting it. 1 second later, the gravity wave hits us, and we stop orbiting and simply shoot off into space at an angle. Neptune would continue orbiting the Sun many hours after it has ceased to exist, and 4 hours after we have shot off into space, since the G-Wave hasn’t reached it yet, and the space it occupies is still distorted by the Sun’s gravity. Unfortunately I can’t find a frakking diagram of this. Hopefully I explained it well.
So there we go, the key to G-Waves usefulness in SlipString Drives is the fact that, at the leading edge of the wave, spacetime is “squashed” and at the trailing edge it is “stretched” as the spacetime from the front “rolls over” the crest of the wave, this means that G-Waves actually repel spacetime.
It is speculated by Bob Lazar (UFO research engineer) that element 115 produces G-waves that extend past the shell of the atom thus could be controlled and focused within a reactor assembly.
Imagine a spaceship (and yes, it can be the Millenium Falcon). If that spaceship begins generating enough G-Waves in all directions in a consistent manner and in such a way that they have negligible effect on their own, but when they meet each other (at a set distance away from the ship) they will be quite potent, it will begin to push spacetime away from it. In this state, it occupies a region which is Partially Separated from the rest of the universe. Meaning that the spacetime it occupies is beginning to lose “touch” with the rest of the universe, light and other EM radiation finds it more difficult to enter this region, as the G-Waves get stronger, the ship begins to “phase” out of our universe more and more. From a light beam’s perspective, it is travelling in a straight line, but from the ship’s perspective, the beam is bending around it, congratulations, you are about to watch the Millenium Falcon (admit it) completely isolate itself from the rest of the universe. Once the G-Waves are strong enough, they aren’t pushing spacetime away from it anymore, since there is none left to push, instead, they are rather holding the rest of spacetime at bay, and the ship is existing in a little bubble. Obviously the bubble also consists of space time as well, more specifically space time that exists inside the “Event Horizon” created by the ship’s G-Waves. The beauty of SlipString drive is that you can focus the G-Waves (more on how later) to coalesce at any distance from your ship you want, meaning your bubble could be huge, or tiny. From an outside observer, there is nothing there, the ship has disappeared from view, you can even walk through the area where it just was, and not experience it at all. You’re not aware of it, but you are curving around the edge of the bubble. The “bubble” is now a completely isolated micro universe, imperceptible from ours, no light, matter or energy can get into (or out of) this region of spacetime.

So, now the Millenium Falcon (or whatever) is isolated from the entire universe, whoop de doo, how does this help us reach ludicrous speeds? Well, first, if you haven’t already, assume the bubble is perfectly spherical. The spaceship’s G-Waves are holding the rest of the universe “at arms length” and keeping the bubble isolated, and naturally, the spacetime outside the bubble doesn’t much like curving around the bubble, and is such pushing in. Imagine holding a ball bearing between your thumb and index finger, squeeze it. Your fingers are spacetime, exerting pressure on a spherical object, because it is a sphere, pressure is equal at all points of the object, and thus it remains stationary. However, now imagine you are squeezing a teardrop shaped object such as a sunflower of melon seed, squeeze hard enough and it will shoot out of your grip, since the object is an uneven shape, you could exert uneven force on it, more specifically, you could exert more force on the tapered end then you could on the bulbous end. By focusing more intense G-Waves behind the ship, the bubble becomes a teardrop shape, and the spacetime outside the bubble begins to “slide” down the tapered edge, pushing it forward. The ship is now “slipping” through the universe (hence the name SlipString Drive).
The longer the tapered edge of the bubble, the faster you will travel. Remeber the fabric analogy? Instead of pushing directly on the fabric, make a small cut at the edge, large enough to fit your finger in, you should now be touching the table. Make the cut longer and move your finger forward, and sew up the area where your finger used to be. There’s no resistance is there? Your speed is limited only to how fast you can cut and stitch the fabric, which translates directly to how tapered you can make your Slip bubble. If you were to move to the middle of the table in this fashion, then close the cut entirely so your finger is once again on the fabric, you would have completely changed position on the tablecloth without ever touching it. Et, voila! SlipString Drive. The ship inside the bubble is stationary, and doesn’t violate the speed of light, and the bubble itself is gravitationally separate from the string medium, if it’s not touching the string medium (ie our universe) there is no resistance and unlimited speed can be achieved. In effect, the SlipString drive moves the universe (and all those pesky physical laws) “out of the way” like a curtain, moves through it, and closes it again. Also, because Spacetime is pushing in on your bubble, ceasing G-Wave generation will collapse your bubble, causing our universe to “wash over” you again. You’ll be back in our universe, and, if you did it right, very far away from where you left.
We’re already setting up observatories in space to learn about G-Waves, scientists have every optimism that we are very close to being able to produce our own. At the heart of a SlipString Drive, is the (secret technology) device for creating the G-Waves, I postulate that it will be some sort of rotating device to create the “whirlpool” ripples I mentioned earlier. The G-Waves would then have to be controlled and focused. This is actually massively easy. The purest form of light is that which travels through a vacuum, as soon as it hits something more massive than the vacuum (such as glass) it slows down and gets refracted (its direction changes). With glass this is infinitesimal, but with opaque objects, its massive, the light simple bounces off. The same principle applies to G-Waves, when they pass through more massive objects, they slow down, get refracted, and change direction. By using a flexible liquid mercury lens (mercury being a reasonably massive element), we could focus the G-Wave out of the generator and down whatever path we desire. Creating Slip bubbles of any shape and size we desire.
Now we have SlipString Drive, we can go anywhere in the entire universe. Inside the bubble however, you won’t see a thing, in your little universe, there are no stars, no planets, no nothing, only your ship, and maybe the few atoms that hitched a ride in your bubble. You’ll have to stop periodically to check you’re on the right track (using either starfixes or astronomical landmarks). Be warned however, powering down your drive while your bubble is inside a planet or star will kill you instantly, as the spacetime the rock or plasma is occupying, washes over you, separating your atoms from one other. Painless I’ll admit, but still death. Fortunately, by “dialling down” your drive (but not switching it off), you can come partially back into contact with the universe, just enough to see where you are, but not enough to be assploded all over the inside of a planet.
Considering what it can do, SlipString Drive is actually quite a simple and compact technology, we should have enough knowledge of G-Waves to build our first generator in about 15 years, with maybe a test of an actual Drive core following sometime (but not too long) after that. Providing such a project receives sufficient funding and G-Waves prove to have the properties as predicted in M-Theory, we could see manned FTL flights in 30 to 50 years.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I see technobabble. Also from just reading the first paragraph, the author has never even attempted understanding the M-theory, he just interprets a rough summary of the M-theory, like you can get in many cheap TV productions, as if this explains it all. Even Hawkings popular science books go deeper into the details.

To show some of the bigger errors in it, aside of it quoting an half-wit and economic criminal like Bob Lazar as some kind of source:

Gravitational waves are not produced exclusively by spinning objects and especially not by a fictional element with the periodic system number 115 (which is in reality called Ununpentium currently, as it is still waiting for an official name). In the general theory of relativity ANY object produces gravity waves - such gravity waves are the propagation of a change in the potential of the gravity field of the universe. Not more, not less. And still not measured, because until today, no detector was around to notice such waves in the noise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ununpentium

And all gravitational waves of a mass extend beyond it. Like light and it's electromagnetic field, it has no limits.

-----------------

Please. Stop copy and pasting the bull**** from UFO fan pages here. I can't eat as much as I want to vomit when I have to read such nonsense. There are many serious alternative propulsion research projects running, which are even more fantastic than what you can get from such idiots. The HQT drive study for example managed to get awarded as AIAA paper of the year 2004, despite being based on a very disputed theory of physics (The Heim theory). And these people even do experimental research - also with some pretty surprising results (And honestly: Any experiment that shows that the established theories are not good enough is surprisingly good).

Not the "conspiracy theory mambo" of "The government does it all in secret and only I know it".

Last edited:

Nexiss

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If memory serves the author of the above text was reviewing the book "slipstring Drive Theory" http://www.amazon.com/SlipString-Drive-String-Gravity-“Faster/dp/0595852068 I just thought it was an interesting concept, I don't think the above is meant to be an in depth explination just a brief outline to get the point over, I may be wrong but thats the impression I got anyway

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
As I said in the other thread where you brought it up:

When they have a working prototype, I will believe it.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
If memory serves the author of the above text was reviewing the book "slipstring Drive Theory" http://www.amazon.com/SlipString-Drive-String-Gravity-%C2%93Faster/dp/0595852068 I just thought it was an interesting concept, I don't think the above is meant to be an in depth explination just a brief outline to get the point over, I may be wrong but thats the impression I got anyway

No, I am sure it is not. Even though Andrew L. Bender can hardly count as prolific scientist, he at least published a paper in 1973, I have reasonable doubts that he referred to Bob "Area 51" Lazar.

Also, I don't recommend buying the book. It sounds like the next best theory, but in reality it is just published without any scientific peer review behind the hypothesis.

I think this review sums it up very reliable:
This review is for the paperback edition.
I only hope that the hardback edition is more detailed, but the paperback certainly fails to convey more than 1 page worth of new ideas worth mentioning and fails to deliver those in any convincing manner.

I looked forward to this book by Andrew Bender to find something new in physics.
I hold a degree in atmospheric sciences and have a few years of physics studies under my belt as well, as I was always interested in space and space travel. I really looked for something here, but it just isn't there, whatever it was supposed to be.
What I found in this book found was unscientific and not backed by any math.
Even the source listings are for the most part NOT proper sources, but merely more popular science writings without substance.
Any beginning college student would fail the mandatory technical writing course for this gross violation of listing original sources.

The main idea can be plotted in one sentence. The author wants to create an isolated space bubble by means of a gravitational wave of critical strength to allow unrestricted travel across space.
He totally fails to show how his space bubble differs from the "mainstream" WARP field bubble, which he dismisses as impracticable as it requires cosmic amounts of energy.
Mr. Bender also fails to even mention how much energy would be required for his own space bubble to be formed.
There is no clue as to how this gravitational wave of sufficient strength could be created by means other than super rapid acceleration of substantial masses, a feat which in itself is beyond reach for us at this time and for a long time to come, if ever.
The only thing Mr. Bender shows is his strong "belief" in string theory, which in itself is not an established science, contrary to its followers raving chants.
As it stands, this book has less substance than even the sloppiest of UFO "investigation report" writings that in a few cases offer a good deal more substantial physics than this supposed non-fiction piece delivers.

Please include some "beef" in the next edition, if it exists.
There is nothing here except a semi philosophical thought chain about what could be done which such a device and why it could be dangerous to tinker with.
If the intention was not to provide details and substance (as the author actually states with the poor excuse that he doesn't want to create a cookbook recipe for malicious characters!), then why bother with this book at all?

Thumbs down, not worth my time, not worth my money.

EDIT: Must correct myself, the Andrew L Bender in Google Scholar is not the guy behind the book. According to his own biography, he released his senior thesis (BA) in 1999, and can be found and read on his website...I'll do some more background checks.

http://www.slipstring.com/acrobat/Bender_Thesis_1999_BSS_M3.pdf

A bit tiny for a senior thesis, at least when applying European standards... only 7 pages and he used already his slipstring homepage, making the research look like a co-operation between his pet project and the university. He also failed making proper quotes to his sources. I wouldn't get away with this kind of work.... my diploma thesis has to be minimal 50 pages, and with some lot of more formalisms to be followed. My "training" paper was already almost 6 times bigger than his...heck, even the small report about the code changes of the last two weeks is longer than this senior thesis.

Last edited:

Nexiss

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Please. Stop copy and pasting the bull**** from UFO fan pages here
Ok sorry dude, sorry for asking a question, and just for the record I'm not really into ufo fan clubs and all that, just trying to sort fact from crap! which there is clearly alot of out there on the world wide web.
This came up as a result from a google search for possible future drive systems. I hope to get into addon development and am looking for feasable propulsion systems, so if you have any idea's that won't offend you then let me know! unfortunatly I am not in the position to spend half my life researching the subject infront of the pc, and thought I might take advantage of the more knowledgable amongst us on the forum, I didn't realise it was going to be such an issue for some of you.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
unfortunatly I am not in the position to spend half my life researching the subject infront of the pc, and thought I might take advantage of the more knowledgable amongst us on the forum, I didn't realise it was going to be such an issue for some of you.

Usually you only spend your whole life researching the subject, may it be in front of a PC, in a conference room, in a library or in what ever experimental setup you have. If you think that this is a too high price for you, look for another occupation.

I don't know any scientist here, who complains about a lack of work.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Two words "Bob Lazar"

Enough to know it's crackpot and stop reading at that point.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The crackpot index, yeay! :lol:

Anyways, I generally don't take anything seriously as long as it doesn't come with math. Allthough I have no possibility of understanding the math involved, it shows that the author actually did some work and might know what he is talking about, and if the subject is picked up by other people that extend and correct on the math, I'm starting to actually respect it. So, for an FTL-drive, the Alcubiere warp drive seems to be the most "feasible" perspective. (meaning, it doesn't SEEM to contradict any CURRENTLY KNOWN theories, which is still pretty far from "yay, we have a solution", and lightyears away from "we have a slight clue on how we could go about actually constructing such a darn thing")

What struck me as very odd was this:

The Sun, is 8 light minutes away, G-Waves travel, like everything else, at the speed of light.

This is not how I interpreted gravitational theories so far, but of course my education is weak and I am therefore likely to misinterpret what I read. However, current preturbation theory seems to work with a gravity model that doesn't have a time delay, or doesn't it?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
This is not how I interpreted gravitational theories so far, but of course my education is weak and I am therefore likely to misinterpret what I read. However, current preturbation theory seems to work with a gravity model that doesn't have a time delay, or doesn't it?

You have to differ between state of the art science and technical implementation. ;)

State of the art science has gravity with a speed of propagation, which is c or less.

In actual implementation, things look different. For guiding rockets, we use good old Galileo pretty often (constant acceleration), for predicting satellites we rely on Newton (with no time delay).

But for long term orbit predictions, especially for asteroids, we already use models which are based on general relativity and even include empiric correction factors for still unexplained phenomena, like the Pioneer effect.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
State of the art science has gravity with a speed of propagation, which is c or less.

Thanks. at least I learned SOMETHING from that article!

Nexiss

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Two words "Bob Lazar"

Now here is the thing about Bob Lazar, The name kept cropping up so I did a search on him, and yes the guy is a nutter, one thing that struck me though and its ironic, he suggested that the target in his case element 115 (which dose not exist on earth if at all) is bombarded with a stream of protons releasing anti matter! Now bear in mind that I am no scientist but I read in a daily paper "Gardian" i think that scientists have found a new way to create anti matter far more quickly, they do this by bombarding gold with high enegry lasers. Now correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that fundamentally what lazar is saying, I'm not defending the guy coz he sounds like a real nut case but I just couldn't help but think of the simularities between the two

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Now correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that fundamentally what lazar is saying.

Not it is not. Antimatter is not antimatter, each different particle has an antiparticle for it and it can even be the same particle in many cases. Laser light (=photons) are no protons. Did Bob Lazar ever say which antiparticle is released? No. Because he does not know what antimatter really is.

The gold foil experiment produces positrons, the anti-particle of the electron. This works by using the laser for accelerating electrons and when the fast electrons slow down again and interact with the gold nuclei, they loose energy, which is condensed into positrons.

See here:
http://www.scientificblogging.com/n...oot_petawatt_laser_through_it_count_positrons

I have not found a Feynman diagram of the process yet, but it sounds plausible to my non-physicist ear.

spcefrk

AeroEng
Donator
Reaction score
... My "training" paper was already almost 6 times bigger than his...heck, even the small report about the code changes of the last two weeks is longer than this senior thesis.

No kidding. The list of references from my M.S. Thesis was longer than that.:lol:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Now here is the thing about Bob Lazar, The name kept cropping up so I did a search on him, and yes the guy is a nutter, one thing that struck me though and its ironic, he suggested that the target in his case element 115 (which dose not exist on earth if at all) is bombarded with a stream of protons releasing anti matter! Now bear in mind that I am no scientist but I read in a daily paper "Gardian" i think that scientists have found a new way to create anti matter far more quickly, they do this by bombarding gold with high enegry lasers. Now correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that fundamentally what lazar is saying, I'm not defending the guy coz he sounds like a real nut case but I just couldn't help but think of the simularities between the two
Element 115?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
115? like in... Elerium 115? I totally understand how someone can play too much XCom (so do I), but that seems a bit too fanboyish...