Simpit Reference Links

BHawthorne

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
Below is a compiled list of helpful simpit reference links. Please post new links or new descriptions for links to this thread so they can be added/updated. :)

Simpit Building Websites:
MyCockpit - An simpit building specialized site with extensive forums. They specialize in MSFS simpit builds, but is an exellent knowledgebase and community for any simpit builder.

Orbiter Wiki - Has a specific section just for Orbiter simpit building.

NTHUSIM - Pre-warping software to enable multi-projector simpit visuals. Compatible with NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround, AMD Eyefinity and Matrox GXM boxes using Windows XP, Vista or 7.

Orbiter Specific Simpit Builds:
Delta Glider III - Firebird's Delta Glider III simpit build website.

Space Shuttle - Todd Wessendorf's Space Shuttle Atlantis simpit build website.

SpaceShipOne - BHawthorne's SpaceShipOne Orbiter simpit build progress.

Delta Glider IV - Pilot7893's Delta Glider IV simpit build thread.

Delta Glider - Lockingtoggle's Delta Glider simpit build thread.

STS & DG - Yagni01's STS and Delta Glider simpit build thread.

Space Shuttle - Tonie Mercier's Space Shuttle simpit build.

Star Wars - Cryogenesys's Star Wars inspired simpit.

Other Reference Sites:
HobbySpace Simulators - A page that links a bunch of space related simulator resources.

Apollo Guidance Computer - Build your own Block I Apollo Guidance Computer.

(I know there are a bunch more links to be added. I just wanted to get the thread started with these. Please post more link urls and descriptions.) :cheers:

NOTE: MODS PLEASE UPDATE THIS THREAD AS PROJECTS ARE ADDED TO THE FORUM. IF YOU WANT A PROJECT ADDED PLEASE PM A MOD TO ADD TO THIS POST.

Last edited:

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Nice!
I'll try to build one if I have time...

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think doing a mockup of the XR2 would be quite fun, especially if you modified the cockpit layout slightly to accomodate 3 people in the cockpit area, and set it up for two pilots and one navigator/payload master. Would take a LOT of time and effort, but the end result would be pretty nifty. :)

Otherwise, an STS 'pit will always be good enough for me. :)

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I think it may be a better idea to put the reference links on the wiki. Some of them are duplicated here.

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Wouldn't hurt for them to be in both places :)
Perhaps, but as a programmer I abhor duplication :)

I'm thinking the hard/slow-to-change information should be there as its a more "permanent" location and it should be easier to find specific subjects. This would be the place for discussion, problem-solving, etc.

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I added some additional references to the wiki for pages I often return to. Two are of special note.

First is a link to the mycockpits.org tutorial page. Lots of general how-to information there.

Second is to a guy who did some very complex work with video projection. While its for MSFS and Orbiter can't do the multiple views it can, this should be inspiration for those that want the immersive experience.

BHawthorne

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
Second is to a guy who did some very complex work with video projection. While its for MSFS and Orbiter can't do the multiple views it can, this should be inspiration for those that want the immersive experience.

I'd like to believe that someone will eventually take Orbiter Visualization Project and make a multiple view capability client renderer. It would greatly help simpit builders. Imagine the ability to use cheap surplus CRTs as individual windows and rendering out custom camera angles to each window in the build. I have a source where I can get as many 21" CRTs as I want for $10 each. I'm sure any large city has multiple computer surplus businesses that are overstocked with those old CRTs. IMHO, that could be a better option for some builds than a projector because of the higher resolutions that could be pushed vs. a single 1280x1024 projector screen. I'd use this example for my SS1 build if the capability was there.

Multi-computer multi-outside display rendering-networking is something I'd love to see worked on for Orbiter. Have a master install of orbiter do all the core functions and have slave computers with the capability of multiple-display that are just renderers for the outside view.

Last edited:

BHawthorne

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
Added 3 new simpit links and a link on how to build your own apollo guidance computer.

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for putting my page up there.

I must say, my simpit is a cheap toy compared to what you guys are doing. I'm amazed. At least people can use mine as an example that you don't need to invest too much money to build your own.