Simpit Interfacing: OUIPC and Orb Connect?

BHawthorne

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
Has anyone used OUIPC and Orb Connect with thier simpit build yet? I'm curious about everyone's i/o setup for thier simpits.

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Has anyone used OUIPC and Orb Connect with thier simpit build yet? I'm curious about everyone's i/o setup for thier simpits.
I've prototyped with both (Orb:Connect was an offshoot of that). Whatcha wanna know?

BHawthorne

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
I'm still trying to get a grasp on what will be needed to interface on the software side of things for my build.

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm still trying to get a grasp on what will be needed to interface on the software side of things for my build.
It depends on the level of control you want. From an input perspective, you could get away with a keyboard and/or joystick emulator and map them to Orbiter inputs. Using momentary switches such as pushbuttons, or momentary toggle/rocker switches, that would actually do quite a bit.

As I mention on the wiki, output is where it gets hard. . . specifically annunciators. For that you'll need something like Orb:Connect (lets call it the network software) to talk to the Orbiter core, but you'll also have to create a client piece of software that communicates with it, takes the information received, and communicates with an LED controller or something via its driver software. The client side software will be specific to the hardware devices that you purchase.

Those that want to duplicate historical vessels, or like on/off switches, will need similar client software to convert the outputs from that hardware and communicate with the network software to send info to Orbiter. A prime example of where this type of switch would be used for 'future' craft would be for a landing gear control.

HTH

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I haven't had much time to post recently what with various school projects kicking my butt from all directions, but if you'd like to do something similar to what I'm doing (ie, separate Linux computers running each glass display) I expect to be pretty fully done with the SurfaceMFD within the next couple weeks (like a Release Candidate for open source? lol) so if you think that solution would be a good starting point for you, it'll be there soon.

Also, yagni, keep an eye out for an e-mail from me sometime in the next few days containing the modifications to Orb:Connect we talked about earlier. Also, should I send a copy to Russ, too?

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Also, yagni, keep an eye out for an e-mail from me sometime in the next few days containing the modifications to Orb:Connect we talked about earlier. Also, should I send a copy to Russ, too?
I think he's shelved further development of OUIPC as he's converting all his clients to OC. So its up to you, but if they're incorporated into the base he would see them. I will keep an eye peeled.