Flight Question Shuttle to ISS

Moon

Reaction score
I am very beginner and I like to know how to travel Shuttle to ISS. Which free addons I need, how to use autopilot etc.

So question is what I need and how to use it, controls and key commands using keyboard.

I have used Orbiter 2016 and few times tested Atlantis and set Target to ISS. Not able to go correct direction and 400km altitude reached but then it started to fall down to earth after 20 min flight.

Last edited by a moderator:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
You may need to take smaller steps. Take a look at "Go Play in Space" Go Play In Space - OrbiterWiki
It'll take you through some of the basics, and more importantly, the language used by typical Orbinauts. PeA, ApA, Descending/Ascending Node, etc. how you ask the questions will give you various answers. A well asked question, will get you more detailed answers using common terms that we use here.

The stock shuttle isn't exactly easy to fly, there are autopilots that'll help, but then again we'd need to know precisely what you are asking. There is a shuttle addon called the Space Transportation System (thread here Project - Space Transportation System 2016 | Orbiter Forum (orbiter-forum.com) ) that uses multistage 2015 as the launch autopilot. The requirements are listed, as are the keyboard commands. Check out the development thread for more details.

If you are very new, maybe give the Delta Glider a try first, it's powerful and is much more forgiving to fly than the shuttle. Download DBeachy's XR-1, -2,or -5 for a more capable craft with some excellent autopilots (RTFM ;) )

Getting a handle of the basics will not only build skills, it'll also build confidence to go back to the stock Shuttle, and it'll be a breeze.

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
I have been able to bring Shuttle from KSC to space and back (with a fiery reentry which would recreate Columbia if brought in real-life), dock and undock the spacecraft with ISS, but not KSC to ISS and back. I have tried to perform several manoeuvres but ended up with a vessel with empty fuel. Thank Gosh, I am not the very begineer in Orbiter anymore.

Addendum: There's a pre-recorded scenario called "Space Shuttle to ISS" in the basic installation, but it is incomplete and always leave learners to do further manoeuvres on their own, which is very bad.

If you are very new, maybe give the Delta Glider a try first, it's powerful and is much more forgiving to fly than the shuttle. Download DBeachy's XR-1, -2,or -5 for a more capable craft with some excellent autopilots (RTFM ;) )

@dbeachy1, please develop a version of XR fleet that runs in Orbiter Sound 5.0, otherwise I will have to change the sound module everytime when I switch from one scenario to another. Better having separate installations with XR fleet and XR sound, but it is only possible in ZIP installation.

Last edited: