Shuttle entry help with reentry mfd and/or aerobrake mfd

rocketman768

Reaction score
In the DGIV, I usually use basesync mfd to line up my orbit, set the perigee to 30-40km when on the opposite side of the world (usually makes an entry angle of 1.3 or so), set the autopilot to do AoA hold at 35 degrees, and then I watch the map display of aerobrake and play with the bank and AoA on the way down to put me accurately down right on top of cape canaveral without pulling more than 2.6 Gs.

Why doesn't this work for the Atlantis or Shuttle Fleet? I either skip right out of the atmosphere or burn up from banking so steep (> 90 degrees) in order to keep me from skipping. I'm pretty sure the difference is that the Lift/Drag graph for Atlantis does not drop off sharply like the graph for the DGIV as AoA increases. So, no matter how great the AoA, I am still experiencing a great deal of lift which causes me to skip around the world.

How do you deal with this and to a fairly realistic entry? What's your target perigee? What's your AoA? Bank angle? Strategy? Any help is greatly appreciated since none of the existing tutorials really help me.

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
This is what I have learned about entry
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3428"]Tutorial: Concepts for atmospheric reentry[/ame]
and about S turns
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3424"]S-Turns animations[/ame]

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
90° bank is not bad, I remember that the Shuttle is even allowed to bank to 110° and more if the need arises. You can't burn up by too much bank angle, as you rotate around the air speed vector when you keep AOA and sideslip under control.

I often bank to more than 80° in the initial phase of reentry as the shuttle produces good amounts of lift. But when you slow down, your bank angle should decrease for avoiding dropping too fast into the atmosphere.