Tutorial Setting up IMFD and 2 TransX MFDs video tutorial

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
I've been using this setup for sometime now and I've found it to be very useful. Two separate instances of TransX help with most of the cases where you'd normally need a surrogate ship and a quick edit of IMFD5.cfg to increase accuracy and set the date format to MJD.
I hope you can understand my accent.

Last edited:

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback Interceptor, I'll try and fix this right away.:tiphat:

Mythos

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Can you explain how you use TransX and IMFD together? I'm used to IMFD and want to try TransX. I had a look at flytandems video tutorials. My first thought was I'd miss an autoburn feature. Maybe IMFD would help out, but setting up equal plans would be diffucult if not impossible.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Can you explain how you use TransX and IMFD together? I'm used to IMFD and want to try TransX. I had a look at flytandems video tutorials. My first thought was I'd miss an autoburn feature. Maybe IMFD would help out, but setting up equal plans would be diffucult if not impossible.

Here is an example:

Below you see a manoeuvre setup in TransX for a Moon to Mars journey. According to TransX it would take a 1621 m/s of Prograde dV burn, in about 1205 seconds, to get a closest approach of ~3.0M when we arrive on Mars.
TransX-IMFD.jpg

To test how accurate this plan is, we copy the burn data (in this case Prograde V: 1621 m/s and Time to burn 1205) over to IMFD's Delta Velocity program and check the closest approach to Mars, using the Map program.
TransX-IMFD2.jpg

We can see that this burn will actually get us to a PeA of ~15G when we arrive at Mars.
We need to tweak the dV and the time to get a better closest approach from the first burn. The closer we get in this burn, the less dV will be needed for MCCs.
TransX-IMFD3.jpg

In general, I use TransX in the first part of planning a journey, up to the point where I am ~ 1000 seconds away from the first burn. Then I copy the burn data on IMFD's Delta Velocty program and watch the predicted trajectory on IMFD's Map program. I make the neccesary tweaks and then use the AB.

Hope this helps
:cheers:

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Great stuff, Dimitri. That's wild too, seeing Windows in Greek mode!

I'd love to see a couple of videos showing how you go from one tool to the other. E.g. Olympus to orbit around Venus, Wideawake to Jupiter slingshotting off Mars?

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
I've been trying to make a video, but my horribly outdated PC, will not work with me.

Anyone up for a collaboration?

-BB to Olympus
-BB-Earth-Olympus
-CC to Europa
-Paradigms of TransX and IMFD working together
-Q&A