Question Setting the Date and Time on Windows XP SP3

Luke Skywalker

Rebel Alliance Hero
Reaction score
Okay, after my super-old computer's hard drive had broken down, i had to buy a new one, with the following specs:

Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002, Service Pack 3
Intel(R)
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.81 GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM

Although i'm having a bit of trouble setting the Date and Time.

I know how to set it but for some reason after setting the correct time, when i restart the computer it shows 2005 instead of 2012.

Can someone tell me how to fix this? It's making some pages on the Internet unavailable to read.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
If the clock shows the correct time as long as it's on, but then shows the wrong time when you next boot it up, it's probably that the CMOS backup battery in it is dead. Open the computer up, somewhere in a corner on the motherboard is a small watch-battery about 2cm across. If you replace this with a new one it will most likely fix the problem. Though why this should happen on a new computer is beyond me - I've only noticed that happen on old machines where the battery flattens itself over the course of a number of years.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Though why this should happen on a new computer is beyond me - I've only noticed that happen on old machines where the battery flattens itself over the course of a number of years.
I don't think the computer is factory-new, just new to him. One tip-off is the low amount of RAM, just 1 GB. Also, another sign is the the OS, Windows XP SP3. Most computers today ship with Windows 7.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
I don't think the computer is factory-new, just new to him. One tip-off is the low amount of RAM, just 1 GB. Also, another sign is the the OS, Windows XP SP3. Most computers today ship with Windows 7.
Ah - that makes sense. Yes, I'd definitely say that it's a flat CMOS battery then.

Luke: Um, what??? You don't think he should replace a dead battery?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Seen that before. The internal timer relies on a watch-like lithium battery (so that it keeps track of time when the computer is unplugged, or in case of power blackout). I think it can cause stability problems, too, as Windows somehow refers to that clock. The battery usually lasts 8-10 years I'd say...

Should be cheap to buy (take the old with you) & easy to replace.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Did you buy a used computer? If it's used, it must be pretty old, because Lithium batteries tend to last a long time. You can try keeping your computer online for 24 hours and see if the battery will charge up and hold...

If it's a new computer, than you either hit a fluke and have a bad battery or this may indicate that something else is wrong.

FADEC

Reaction score
I would also say it's a dead battery. I've had the same trouble a few times but for now it still works fine. My motherboard is 5 years of age and I think the battery might quit not too long in the future.

By the way, Windows XP SP3 still is a wonderful OS. Especially for people with old hardware and software. Meanwhile I am running both, Win XP and Win 7. But I mostly still work with XP. I guess it's also force of habit (10 years of usage now) :)

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Also, check in your BIOS/CMOS menu if there is an option to copy the settings to a floppy disk or hard drive. You never know... ;)

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
Molson - the dead battery won't be a cause of instability. The battery is used to keep the CMOS clock going when there is no power. Once the computer starts, the AC power takes over this and your OS won't refer to the hardware clock after it starts up as it does it internally.

RFury, the CMOS batteries aren't rechargable (just plain cheap watch-type batteries) so you won't be able to recharge it.

NMolson (again) - you won't be able to save your CMOS settings to disk - there just isn't the need to have that on motherboards.

It'll be a battery - buy one for a couple of £/$/local currency and whack it in. It's 99% chance that that's what the problem is.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Molson - the dead battery won't be a cause of instability. The battery is used to keep the CMOS clock going when there is no power. Once the computer starts, the AC power takes over this and your OS won't refer to the hardware clock after it starts up as it does it internally.

RFury, the CMOS batteries aren't rechargable (just plain cheap watch-type batteries) so you won't be able to recharge it.

NMolson (again) - you won't be able to save your CMOS settings to disk - there just isn't the need to have that on motherboards.

It'll be a battery - buy one for a couple of £/$/local currency and whack it in. It's 99% chance that that's what the problem is.

Normally they are CR2032 batteries:

21vLBYej58L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Agentgonzo is absolutely correct in everything he has said. A reversion of the date/time to 1st Jan [YEAR] is always down to the CMOS losing power. The battery must be replaced. Average life expectancy is 3-5 years. Pull the battery and replace it. Set the date and time. Problem solved.