Setting orbiter to use a joypad properly

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hi,
I just got myself a few Playstation style joypads (y'know, the ones with two little sticks on them and a bunch of buttons). Admittedly this is mainly for playing pro evo on a sunday afternoon, but it would be nice to get one of the things working for orbiter.

Unfortunately my experience with such things is zero. Currently the pad is set up rather stupidly. Pressing left and right on the right hand stick is the thrust, up and down is the rudder and the left hand stick changes view angle.

Ideally I'd like to set it up so the left stick does, say, translation and the righthanf stick does rotation.

Is this possible? I know orbiter with the keyboard is limited to only rotation OR translation mode, but I am hoping it is somewhat cleevrer when it comes to having multiple inputs.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I don't think there's a way to do that, at least with the stock Orbiter functionalty. However, you could map a button on the keypad to switch between rotation and translation modes using Joy2Key.

That being said, I do seem to remember reading about a joystick add-on module for Orbiter that would let you map different axes. Too bad the M6 database is toast...

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
What's also bugging me is that the actual pad bit is being used for rotation (pitch yaw). It'd have been nice to set that onto one of the little sticks to gain a bit more control. Using a pad is pretty much as inaccurate as using the keyboard ;)

Anyway, thanks for the reply. I guess I'm stuck.

Xantcha

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Try FlyByWire 0.8, it works fine for me
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3223"]Fly-By-Wire 0.9 beta[/ame]

What i like most about it is not ability to translate and rotate simultaneously (also it is good), it's that you can assign joystick axis for hover engine. This makes lunar landing so much more enjoyable.

xmlnoob

Reaction score
Try FlyByWire 0.8, it works fine for me
http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3223

What i like most about it is not ability to translate and rotate simultaneously (also it is good), it's that you can assign joystick axis for hover engine. This makes lunar landing so much more enjoyable.
Yea~ Fly By Wire is great~!!! :speakcool::speakcool::speakcool:
I had successfully mapped 3 devices (2 joystick with throttle, 1 driving wheel), one joystick for control surface, 1 throttle for main thrust, another throttle for hover thurst and the gas/brake paddle from the wheel for rudder control. The work like a charm.

I still wondering how to map joystick buttons via Fly By Wire though....

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Thanks, that improves things dramatically!

dutchpirate

XR Fleet Skin Designer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Most controllers come with some kind of programming/profiling software that allow you to create a specific profile for any program. You then run the profiler before you start Orbiter, and all your button maps are there. What brand is your controller?