Updates September: Apply for JPL Solar System Ambassador program

FlyingSinger

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hello all,

The month of September is the application period for the JPL Solar System Ambassadors program in the United States. Here are some official words from the program director:

"The Solar System Ambassadors (SSA) program works with motivated volunteers across the nation to share the latest science and discoveries of NASA's missions through a variety of events that inspire their communities.

On September 1, a tab labeled "AO/Application" will appear on the left-hand navigation bar. Clicking on it will take you to a page where the Announcement of Opportunity and application form can be found.

While we will accept applications from all US states/territories, our target areas for increasing the number of Ambassadors in 2019 are: Arkansas, Delaware, Idaho, Iowa, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont, West Virginia, Wyoming, the District of Columbia and U.S. territories."

My perspective: I discovered Orbiter in 2005 and joined the SSA program in 2007. For the first few years I was very active, doing presentations at schools, libraries, and museums. The last few years I have slowed down but I still try to do 2-3 programs a year. While I use some of the materials provided by JPL, my special spin has always been to use Orbiter for "live" demonstrations, tours of the solar system, landing on the moon, launching various missions, etc. They don't really dictate what you do in your outreach programs, although they do request that you talk about NASA missions. I have been lucky to experience some cool opportunities as an ambassador (all at my expense): I attended the launch of STS-118 in August 2007 with other ambassadors as a "VIP" guest and in May 2009, I was a volunteer at the JPL Open House where I hung out in the "Mars Yard" and talked with guests about Mars programs. None of this is guaranteed, but cool things do come up.

If you live in the US, have an interest in space exploration, and enjoy talking with children and adults about space exploration and astronomy, consider applying to be a Solar System Ambassador. In addition to a cool title, I've really enjoyed sharing my interest in space (and Orbiter) with many people.

Thanks,
Bruce Irving

My SSA info page

Photos from STS-118 and KSC Tour in 2007