General Question Saturn V rocket questions

jedimaster1214

CDR-LMP-CMP
Reaction score
Curious question of mine, once staging is done, is the S-IC first stage or S-II second stage left to sink in the ocean, or is there a recovery team that brings them back?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
No recovery for Saturn stages, no point as they couldn't be resued. There was a plan to build a large helicopter to capture the stage in mid air but it never got any futher than the drawing board.

You can read about it here -> http://www.thespacereview.com/article/1045/1

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
No recovery for Saturn stages, no point as they couldn't be resued. There was a plan to build a large helicopter to capture the stage in mid air but it never got any futher than the drawing board.

OK, that's quite possibly the most mental proposal that I've heard.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think I recall reading about one of the Saturn I-B first stages being recovered once when a ship chanced upon its hulk. I seem to remember a photo of a wrecked rocket stage being towed on a barge. Might have been a different rocket. My google-fu is failing.

Spicer

Reaction score
I'd love to see the heli that would catch an S-1c stage!

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
So there are, in theory, a few dead stages at the bottom of our ocean? Seems a bit... pollutant...

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
It's mostly metal and stuff, the sea knows how to make good use of them as habitat for fishes and other stuff that looks at you funny when you go for a swim.

Sky Captain

Reaction score

This is actually interesting idea for Orbiter addon. Imagine you have to fly a Monster Chopper downrange to likely impact point of first stage then launch Saturn V and fine tune it`s trajectory so the first stage falls as close as possible to Monster Chopper. When first stage burns out and descends onder it`s chutes you catch it with Monster Chopper and bring back to Cape or lower on barge waiting in ocean.