Tutorial RTLS Tutorial and Scenario

sunshine135

All Around Good Guy
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I have just posted a tutorial to OH utilizing David413's Shuttle Fleet that will walk the user through performing a RTLS abort to KSC. The tutorial contains a 35 minute WMA audio file narration that can be played on Windows Media Player while Orbiter runs the playback. The audio file can also be played to help the Orbinaut fly the RTLS abort by hand. Unfortuately, since the GPC MFD cannot duplicate the RTLS mode, the abort is all hand-flown. Nonetheless, the user gets a good feel for how difficult this abort is.

I will post the link when the add-on is approved. I have never posted to OH, thus I am not immediately published.

It is posted here: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4182"]RTLS Abort Tutorial for the Shuttle Fleet[/ame]

Cheers and Beers,

Last edited:

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hello sunshine135,

I've just downloaded your "RTLS Abort Tutorial for the Shuttle Fleet" from OH.

Could it be, that you have missed the contents of the /flights folder? Without the flight-data files (*.atc,*.att,*.pos) the playback will be not much different than the real self-flown one, right? So I think you just forgot to include the contents of "Flights\Endeavour RTLS Practice\"

I think it would be better for me to first see someone else doin' it before I try to fail several times for myself ;)

Last but not least I want to thank you for your audio-comments. As long as I am waiting for your answere, I will 'mentally' be preparing with your voice-over (but still failing :p )

Regards,

Kuddel

sunshine135

All Around Good Guy
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Right you are Kuddel! Major "New-Tutorial-Creator-Guy" Mistake.

I am uploading Update 1 as we speak. Check back with Orbithangar to download Update 1.

Many Thanks!

David413

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
You might want to change the description in the RTLS scenario file too; it still has the description from my TAL file...

sunshine135

All Around Good Guy
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
David413,

I have just changed the scenario description too along with the Flights folder. Thanks for the feedback! Let me know if I come pretty close with this scenario.

Cheers,

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I have just posted a tutorial to OH utilizing David413's Shuttle Fleet that will walk the user through performing a RTLS abort to KSC. The tutorial contains a 35 minute WMA audio file narration that can be played on Windows Media Player while Orbiter runs the playback. The audio file can also be played to help the Orbinaut fly the RTLS abort by hand. Unfortuately, since the GPC MFD cannot duplicate the RTLS mode, the abort is all hand-flown. Nonetheless, the user gets a good feel for how difficult this abort is.

I will post the link when the add-on is approved. I have never posted to OH, thus I am not immediately published.

It is posted here: RTLS Abort Tutorial for the Shuttle Fleet

Cheers and Beers,

Also, the scenario uses Spacecraft 2.dll without the documentation specifying it as a required addon, and also depends upon a Sol_Alt.cfg that is not present in the zip file or in any of the required addons.

David413

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Also, the scenario uses Spacecraft 2.dll without the documentation specifying it as a required addon, and also depends upon a Sol_Alt.cfg that is not present in the zip file or in any of the required addons.

Seemed obvious to me that the requirement for the med / hi -res KSC implied use of my STS Expansion Pack (special edition). Regardless, a simple statement in the OH description should suffice.

Dave

sunshine135

All Around Good Guy
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Okay- I added the "Special Addition" comment to the V.4.2 description in Orbit Hangar, but I agree that Spacecraft2.dll comment is not necessary. Anyone using the Shuttle Fleet should have Spacecraft2 and Spacecraft3. If I receive more comments regarding that, I will add that information.

Thanks again for the feedback! I need a little more QC on my end ;)

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Okay- I added the "Special Addition" comment to the V.4.2 description in Orbit Hangar, [...]
Thanks again for the feedback! I need a little more QC on my end ;)

Thanks a lot for the quick update!

By the way, you HAVE a QC. It's called "orbiter-forum" ;)

/Kuddel

sunshine135

All Around Good Guy
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the quick update!

By the way, you HAVE a QC. It's called "orbiter-forum" ;)

/Kuddel

The Orbiter community is awesome! That is why I was happy to make the tutorial.

Thanks again,

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hi,
I just want to first confirm that the tutorial is now complete! Many thanks for that.

Second I like to give a little (visual) enhancement tip:
If one likes to avoid the premature ET separation at the playback, one can hit * somewhere after the loss of the engine. This disables the autopilot and leaves the ET attached 'till empty.
...although this might leave some of your audio comments unneccessary :p it might help enhance the 'feeling' of the playback.

Again, thank's for the great tutorial!
/Kuddel

*) Disable launch autopilot when in launch config; aerojet DAP for entry config. (Shuttle Fleet V4.2 Manual, p.17)

sunshine135

All Around Good Guy
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Hi,
I just want to first confirm that the tutorial is now complete! Many thanks for that.

Second I like to give a little (visual) enhancement tip:
If one likes to avoid the premature ET separation at the playback, one can hit * somewhere after the loss of the engine. This disables the autopilot and leaves the ET attached 'till empty.
...although this might leave some of your audio comments unneccessary :p it might help enhance the 'feeling' of the playback.

Again, thank's for the great tutorial!
/Kuddel

*) Disable launch autopilot when in launch config; aerojet DAP for entry config. (Shuttle Fleet V4.2 Manual, p.17)

Thanks for your feedback kuddle! I will likely record a new tutorial audio file and perhaps an "enhanced" tutorial at a later date. I really would like it to be top notch, and something that everyone who uses the Shuttle Fleet will enjoy. I will certainly take your comments into consideration when creating the new tutorial.

Many thanks again,