Rocketry in Michigan

RocketMan_Len

Reaction score
In case anyone is interested...

This weekend, a club in southern Michigan is hosting a launch just outside the small town of Three Oaks. Experimental rockets on Friday, commercial on Saturday and Sunday.

(Although Sunday doesn't look too good for flying - forecasts are for rain most of the day.)

I'll be taking along a rocket with video and still cameras. Depending on the cloud cover on Saturday, I'll be getting pictures and video from either 4800 feet, or 6500 feet.

If you want, I'll post some when I get back...

Brad

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That would really be awesome. I use to be heavy into rocketry, but my military career wasn't to well-matched to such a hobby. Since I retired 10 years ago, I just haven't had the time as computers, family and other events have eaten all my time.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That would really be awesome. I use to be heavy into rocketry, but my military career wasn't to well-matched to such a hobby. Since I retired 10 years ago, I just haven't had the time as computers, family and other events have eaten all my time.

Take the time... it's well worth it. Especially if you design and build the whole rocket yourself and not buy a kit.

RocketMan_Len

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I don't have any photos or videos to post. For some reason - yet to be determined - the video cameras didn't function at all. And since my rocket landed in a pool of muddy water, I can't unload the film camera to get the pictures processed. :mad::censored::cry:

One bit of good news - the weather held out long enough to let me use the large motor I'd reserved. Peak altitude of just over 6100 feet.

When I get home, I'll have to tear everything apart and figure out what went wrong...

RocketMan_Len

Reaction score
Got it figured out - I'd inadvertently drained the batteries of the camcorders. (When I did a test download to my computer, I forgot to cycle the power. :()

I spent last weekend in Potter, NY - at the LDRS launch. My freshly-charged camcorders worked perfectly... but my digital camera didn't. (Another mystery to work on... I think it's shock-related this time, though...)

I don't know (yet...) how to post a YouTube video here... but the videos I took are available for viewing, under the username 'SparkyLen'...