Rice Owl!!

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am going to be attending Rice University this fall as a freshman. Does anyone else on this forum go to Rice? Or am I just a lonely "owl." Hahaha.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am going to be attending Rice University this fall as a freshman. Does anyone else on this forum go to Rice? Or am I just a lonely "owl." Hahaha.

Well, I applied once if that counts. :lol:
And I live nearby in the summer. :p

You may be a 'lonely owl' here, but I do have one or two friends worth meeting at Rice.

Oh, and congratulations of course! Rice is absolutely the "'Ivy League' university of the South".

Last edited:

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Oh sweet. I hope I can find them cause it would be so cool to meet people who actually have used it before. :D
And man, I think I got a little "lucky" cause I was just doubting I'd get in. Where are you going to school now? I see you live in Norman. At the moment I actually live an hour away from there. My sister goes to OU too.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Oh sweet. I hope I can find them cause it would be so cool to meet people who actually have used it before. :D
And man, I think I got a little "lucky" cause I was just doubting I'd get in. Where are you going to school now? I see you live in Norman. At the moment I actually live an hour away from there. My sister goes to OU too.

Hehe, we're trading cities then.
I'm from the Houston area, going to school at OU in Norman.
You'll be coming from the OKC area, going to school at Rice in Houston.

I can't say I know how they pick students, but I can safely say you need something more than luck to get in. I think I had a reasonable chance if I put more effort into my application, but they ultimately denied me. Either way, I've got a nearly full scholarship at OU, instead of paying $50k+ a year at Rice. (x

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
That is hilarious. Funny how things work.
But you made the right decision, concerning finances. I was just glad they have a multi-billion dollar endowment, in addition to a low undergrad population. Because of this, I am getting 90 percent payed for and will graduate with less than 20k in debt, which is actually lower than the national average. But it is dynamic and all depends on a multitude of factors. I am sure you will be successful regardless though.