General Question Resolution Issue (Tiny Menu Bar and Info Boxes)

WillRak

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am running Orbiter on an HP Spectre x360 with a 3840x2160 display. I have the latest D3D9 Client installed, and when I was using the orbiter_ng program, it USED to look like the second image, however, I played about once with the screen resolution, and cannot seem to revert to the original look (and better frame rate) of before, when I go back to the 3840x2160 resolution. Now, my orbiter_ng program looks like the first image, with tiny menu bars and tiny calendar and information boxes in the corners. Similarly, the orbiter_ng launchpad application now looks a lot more high resolution/different than the standard orbiter launchpad application, as shown in the third image, even though they both have the same display settings. When I first installed the program, they looked the same.

I have tried deleting the program completely and reinstalling everything, but to no avail! I was wondering if anyone knew of this issue or had a fix for it? I would be very grateful!

Thanks,

Will

Attachments

• ng.PNG
    ng.PNG
    5.1 MB · Views: 16
  • normal.PNG
    normal.PNG
    4.8 MB · Views: 16
  • launch.PNG
    launch.PNG
    488.3 KB · Views: 16

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Hi!
I pretty sure you can't control the size of those menus directly, as they are probably tied to screen height or width or aspect ratio, and looking at your images MOGE and D3D9 define those menus in a different way.
About the Launchpad quality, go to Extra > Debugging Options > Performance Options, and you'll have options regarding font smoothing (which affects frame rate, and who knows might actually be connected to the menus above). I have both off, thus leaving smoothing on (you might have to tick the second box once to enable smoothing, and then the next time you run you can untick it, so Orbiter does not change font smoothing at all).
Anyway, these settings are not shared between Launchpads, so you have to check this on both.

NonHumanOnboard

Reaction score
If this issue happened only after a recent D3D9 update and not before, then it may be caused by a specific (D3D9) API functionality, which handles things like object scaling differently. You may try to downgrade D3D9 to a lesser version or one you had before, as a test to see if there's any change.

If not, try deleting the Device.dat file in your Orbiter root and restart. This file contains device info and parameters and is recreated when Orbiter starts.

Does this also happens with the normal Orbiter.exe? If not, you could compare orbiter.cfg and orbiter_ng.cfg for any differences.

The fact that some graphic properties have changed, means they had to be stored somewhere.

WillRak

Reaction score
Thanks everyone - the debugging options did not change anything unfortunately, but it was resolved when I moved the orbiter directory from my desktop to the (C:) drive, somehow. If It happens again, I will take a look at the device.dat file fix (and no, it only happens with orbiter_ng!) Thanks for all your help.