rescue mission on IO strategy

djidji

Reaction score
I'm having a lot of trouble to do this mission, What did you do in order to complete it.. For now I opted to wait for a better launch window than when the scenario starts (2 days I beleive) and dont land on IO but use the fuel remaining in the GLMining to go in orbit and dock there.

did anyone have enough fuel to actually land on the moon.

Did you bring a fuel container etc

merry xmas

flytandem

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
www.flytandem.com
Where does one find this scenario? Could have flown to the moon and back in the time I've spent looking for this scenario. :)

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I believe it's included with the DGIV....

flytandem

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
www.flytandem.com
I believe it's included with the DGIV....
Thanks.
A couple years ago I had downloaded the DGIV but was having trouble with the extra buttons and systems. I did the easy thing and just stayed with the stock DG. But given I really wanted to try a challenge I opted to get the IV again and give it a whirl.

I opened the scenario and mistakenly assumed the ship on IO had no fuel so I flew the rescue ship over and landed it beside the stranded ship on Io. But as I sat there wondering what to do next to give it some fuel I realized it already had 15% of a main tank. Plus it appeared possible to transfer some of the RCS over to the main. I suppose the author intended this to just allow the ship to get into IO orbit.

So I reflew the mission but this time launched the stranded ship first and used what fuel it had to get into IO orbit and eject toward Europa. I wasn't overly efficient because I was pretty sure I would have to send the rescue ship out anyway. Just the further I get home on my own, the less rescue would be needed. Surprisingly I actually managed to get to just a couple or more dozen m/s of deltaV from going all the way to a docking with the Europa-ob1 station orbiting Europa. Wow, it was soooo close.:speakcool:

I think I'll refly it but this time try to maximize efficiency right from the start to see if the stranded ship can save itself and not ask for a rescue at all. I know the challenge wasn't set up this way, but I think it would be more fun. Kind of an Orbiter version of "survivorman". :lol:

-----Post Added-----

OK the mission is re-flown with the intent to fly the "stranded" ship back on its own fuel. Turns out with precision in mind it managed to dock at the Europa-ob1 station with about 500 Kg remaining fuel which is over 1700 m/s spare deltaV.

I'm not sure what the scenario author intended. I am guessing that to use the fuel just to get into Io orbit is the intent so it would become an exercise in rendezvous and 3 separate moon to moon transfers. But given the ability to transfer fuel out of the RCS allowing a single moon transfer and only the 1 rendezvous with the station, this is the better option IMHO.

If anyone wants I could assemble the saves of the flight, showing the TransX burns, into a scenario package.

Happy new year everyone!

rob

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah! I tried to leg it with the "stranded" one too. I think it's what the author intended, because it's listed as a "Short&Hard" mission.

I screwed up the Io ejection burn, which led to two corrections (one >500m/s), and I still made it to Europa with 4kg main and 10kg RCS. But I didn't check the Inc of the station, and ended up with a RInc of 179°.:rofl:
But it was fun!!!!:cheers: