General Question Rendevouz in Sun orbit

Kobayashi

Kobanauta
Reaction score
Hi, i have been trying to do the this.

I have a broken DGIV with the cone opened in sun orbit, the orbit is similar to the earth orbit around the sun. Now i want to send another DGIV to dock with the first one and get it home.

So i cant do this, i tried using sync orbit with the correct plane, transfer mfd or even imfd and transx, but i cant get close enough to receive signal.

I hope you can help me with this becouse i think it can be possible but i cant figure out how.:(

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
It should be doable with an appropriate combination of delta-v and time. You are familiar with IMFD and/or TransX? Can you characterise the orbit of your damsel-in-distress better, ie, aphelion, perhelion, inc, etc (an IMFD map screenie showing the target orbit and Earth's location would be helpful). The knight-in-shining-armour is coming from a base on Earth?

Kobayashi

Kobanauta
Reaction score
i'll try again, but i think it have to be (as you said) in the aphelion to reduce the ammount of delta-v needed to sync orbit speed. I am not so familiar with imfd or transX, and is a ship and not a plantet, so is not to big and i have to get so close. I'll try again and i will tell you if the crew still alive (sure not ;)).

And here another question, in Orbiter it is possible to escape Sun SOI? or even so far i will keep orbiting Sun?

Thanks anyway :)

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
i'll try again, but i think it have to be (as you said) in the aphelion to reduce the ammount of delta-v needed to sync orbit speed. I am not so familiar with imfd or transX, and is a ship and not a plantet, so is not to big and i have to get so close. I'll try again and i will tell you if the crew still alive (sure not ;)).
Using IMFD or TransX for this trip will certainly help you cut down you delta-v requirements (maybe not such a big issue for DGIV), probably reduce your intercept time and definitely make it easier to get a close intercept.

And here another question, in Orbiter it is possible to escape Sun SOI? or even so far i will keep orbiting Sun?
The Sun is the only star in Orbiter's universe so you will always be affected by its gravity. You won't keep orbiting it if you go fast enough to get on a hyperbolic trajectory (orbit implies a closed path, or at least close to closed, ie eccentricity < 1). You will definitely run into trouble when you get out to about 3.8x10^148 AU from the sun because you will hit the limits for the double precision numbers used to track your position. Expect a crash (of the computer kind). The crash may occur sooner or later, this is a rough calculation. Weird effects may be observed sooner.

Scarecrow

Reaction score
Hi, i have been trying to do the this.

I have a broken DGIV with the cone opened in sun orbit, the orbit is similar to the earth orbit around the sun. Now i want to send another DGIV to dock with the first one and get it home.

So i cant do this, i tried using sync orbit with the correct plane, transfer mfd or even imfd and transx, but i cant get close enough to receive signal.

I hope you can help me with this becouse i think it can be possible but i cant figure out how.:(

With TransX at least, with appropriate course corrections, you should be able to get a collision course. Make sure you're targeting the DGIV in distress. As you get closer, make repeated corrections, always refining the intercept. When you get within a few thousand seconds of your closest approach, you should be able to get the closest intercept within a few hundred meters after you play with the RCS (at this point, forget maneuver mode, things happen too fast. When you're within a few hundred seconds, you ought to be able to get the projected intercept within a few meters. Remember, it will drift, so at this point, you should be correcting almost constantly (a mix of intuition about orbital mechanics and trial and error is key here). When appropriate, start your rondezvous burn. Even while burning, you can play with your RCS to refine the intercept, so you're within a few meters of the target when you stop. It takes practice, but it's possible.