Remote MFD Format thoughts

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The problem I'm running into is that the fixed H/W ratio of the Orbiter MFDs keep me from displaying multiple MFDs on a single monitor without a lot of wasted screen space. Considering how many MFDs we routinely use, I think as we create more remote MFDs, that we should deliberately design them to use the screens more efficiently.

For example, a widescreen display could show two large 'portrait' format MFDs side-by-side or four smaller-but-wider MFDs (one in each corner) with room for an edge bezel down the center. Laptop or 4:3 screens could be turned to get more screens in a panel. Perhaps related MFDs could be combined into a single logical display, but I think it would be beneficial if the portrait format became a goal of remote displays for flight decks.

Any thoughts?

BHawthorne

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
With the price of LCDs and decent video cards being pretty cheap anymore I think it's a good idea. Looking at newegg, there are 106 LCDs in the $100-200 price range. You can pick up 8800GS/9600GSO video cards for $49 and tri-sli 680i mobos for $89 anymore. External MFDs need to be designed with hardware in mind. I'd like to see the MFDs designed with COTS hardware in mind. Merely pick up a few $110 LCDs and make for a visually impressive glass cockpit.

I also think that there needs to be spaceship add-ons that are designed with this also in mind. I seriously don't think add-ons are ever designed with the idea that someone might want to actually reproduce it with COTS hardware IRL. That mindset needs to change too.

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
With the price of LCDs and decent video cards being pretty cheap anymore I think it's a good idea. Looking at newegg, there are 106 LCDs in the $100-200 price range. You can pick up 8800GS/9600GSO video cards for $49 and tri-sli 680i mobos for $89 anymore. External MFDs need to be designed with hardware in mind. I'd like to see the MFDs designed with COTS hardware in mind. Merely pick up a few $110 LCDs and make for a visually impressive glass cockpit.
Even the $30 laptops people pick up from eBay. The important thing is to figure out ways to get the most (multiple) MFD functionality on actual screens.

-----Posted Added-----

I also think that there needs to be spaceship add-ons that are designed with this also in mind. I seriously don't think add-ons are ever designed with the idea that someone might want to actually reproduce it with COTS hardware IRL. That mindset needs to change too.
They aren't and it would be rare, because they either replicate something historical, or make up something based upon the orbiter graphic constraints. Both situations we can work with The key to the spacecraft addons is for the devs to publish interfaces for external modules to communicate with, as Doug did with the XR-series. If they all came up with a standard messaging system to expose all the system details, it would be even better. We need multiple outside views, which hopefully the OVP will take care of, and the MFD devs to think 'real' in terms of input and display formats for supporting multi-monitor setups. There will always be a larger user base of multi-monitor setups than flight decks. We just have to entice them to keep that in mind.