Remembering Challenger: January 28 1986

zerofay32

Buckeye
Reaction score
Where were you on Jan 28th 86. I was in school watching the launch.

Hail Challenger!

Last edited:

jinglesassy

Reaction score
i wasnt alive i wasnt even born but all hail challenger :salute: it shouldnt of challenged space that day it should of waited for repairs before challenging space :lol:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
i wasnt alive i wasnt even born but all hail challenger :salute: it shouldnt of challenged space that day it should of waited for repairs before challenging space :lol:
Not even remotely funny, or relevant, or applicable.

Ark

Reaction score
Wasn't alive in '86 to see it happen. Though, with the number of times I've seen the footage used in various documentaries and news clips, I might as well have been.

ThatGuy

Reaction score
I hadn't been born yet.

:salute: To the crew of STS-51-L
May they rest in peace.

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
I was still 4 months from being born, so I only witnessed it in the womb. But may the crew rest in peace

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

hnsptr

Reaction score
I was comming home and listened the bad news in my car radio. I immediately turned on the tv and they were already reporting.

RIP crew of challenger

V8Li

Reaction score
I was 1 year old. Oh, and today is my mother's biorthday... whatever that means... was I celebrating or what? :hmm:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I was 12 years old and avidly following the space programme at the time. I thought NASA was infallible so seeing this was a shock. I read as much as I could about the Challenger investigation from newspapers at the local library as the internet wasn't really around at that point and then I went off the space program for some years.

My thoughts are with the families on this difficult day.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Not even remotely funny, or relevant, or applicable.

If you witnessed it (and I did), his/her comment could strike a nerve, but he/she didn't, so it is very remote to him/her. The same I suppose of someone witnessing the Hindenburg and see comments like " ...Oh the huge manatees !" today.

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
I forgot that today was the day that happened.
RIP Challenger, my #1 favorite shuttle.:salute:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I did not witness it, but my condolences go out to the families and friends of the victims, and everyone who had to witness this terrible event.

On this day in history, 7 lives and one good vehicle were destroyed in an accident that could never have happened. Let's not make mistakes like that again.

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
Rest In Peace, crew of STS-51L.

May your memories live on forever in the form of Challenger Learning Centres, inspiring young people to continue your dreams.

Reaction score
Where were you on Jan 28th 86. I was in school watching the launch.

Hail Challenger!
At home, i had a day off and was watching CNN just because of the Challenger launch.

CNN was then something new on our local cable network. Cai-Westland, our local cable-provider was the first network in the Netherlands to have CNN on their network.

And CNN did live coverage of Shuttle launches, so i was actually a happy person to see another launch live on television. But when it blew up i realised that this was not what it was supposed to look, something was wrong and this was a manned spacecraft.

It took a few minutes to realise that this was not looking good and that people had died.

The rest is history.

reekchaa

Endeavoring Futurist
Reaction score
I was 16, watching in class, and ended up doing a huge report and CGI reenactment (C-128) of all that went wrong that fateful day in my physics class. What a horrible day to witness.

Then the Columbia disaster welcomed my baby daughter's birthday.

Will be happy to see the day when private enterprise can surpass all that nasa could possibly muck up.