SDK Question Registering a lua function with Orbiter

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I want to register a function with Orbiter's lua interpreter so that it's recognised in scripts and in the lua console.

Code:
//simple lua function
static int Lua_function(lua_State* L)
{
        //just print to the screen to show that the function has been recognised
sprintf(oapiDebugString(), "LUA function recognised!");
	return 0;
}

//in the module's constructor, I assume that's the best place:
//register LUA functions
lua_register(oapiGetLua(oapiCreateInterpreter()), "function", Lua_function);

If I compile that code, and then input function() into the lua console, the function isn't recognised :(

I've probably misunderstood the purpose of oapiCreateInterpreter, I thought it returned a handle to the "global" interpreter.

Any help appreciated :) thanks.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Currently functions can only be added on a per-vessel-class basis, by overloading the VESSEL3::clbkGeneric method and intercepting the VMSG_LUAINTERPRETER and VMSG_LUAINSTANCE messages.

VMSG_LUAINTERPRETER is sent when an interpreter associated with the vessel is created. It can be used to set up the script environment for the vessel.

VMSG_LUAINSTANCE is sent when an existing interpreter creates a class instance of the vessel type. It can be used append methods to the vessel object's metatable.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
No, it should be a new interpreter instance AFAIR.

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Currently functions can only be added on a per-vessel-class basis, by overloading the VESSEL3::clbkGeneric method and intercepting the VMSG_LUAINTERPRETER and VMSG_LUAINSTANCE messages.

VMSG_LUAINTERPRETER is sent when an interpreter associated with the vessel is created. It can be used to set up the script environment for the vessel.

VMSG_LUAINSTANCE is sent when an existing interpreter creates a class instance of the vessel type. It can be used append methods to the vessel object's metatable.

:thankyou: for clearing that up! :)