Flight Question Reentry help Please

blonk

Reaction score
I have read some articles here on the topic, but I want to know what attitude I should be in when pro-grade and level to ground in order to complete reentry. For my whole orbiter career, while still in space, I used hover and retro rockets to elevate the stress, but I haven't been able to groove the right away. I stepped away from orbiter for a bit and now I can't re-enter (even though I never did it the correct way. Please help.

Specifically XR2.

Marijn

Reaction score
From a low earth orbit, try 63km with the XR2 and pitch up 52 degrees and go from there. Watch the vertical speed and hull temp.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Have a look at Glideslope MFD, and the reentry tutorial I wrote in there. This MFD gives you step by step guidance to reenter, align, and land in a shuttle-style engines-off manner. Of course you can fire up some throttle if you need it.

blonk

Reaction score
Have a look at Glideslope MFD, and the reentry tutorial I wrote in there. This MFD gives you step by step guidance to reenter, align, and land in a shuttle-style engines-off manner. Of course you can fire up some throttle if you need it.
I need BaseSync MFD, honestly can't find it anywhere

Edit: I found 2010, will it work in 2016?
[ https://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6881 ]

blonk

Reaction score
After installing Base Sync MFD and Glide scope 2, and making sure they were enabled in the module section, I still do not see a Base sync nor glide scope 2 MFD in my two MFD screens (same for external MFD)

Last edited:

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have a new Glideslope, BaseSync, ModuleMessagingExt stack ready for release imminently to eliminate all the dependencies. Anyone wanting private versions just PM me your email and I'll send them to you.

For now, here are the current released products - so please install all three of these for best results:

Orbiter 2010:Glideslope for Orbiter 2010 2.4, BaseSyncMFD for orbiter 2010 v3.0, and Module Messaging Ext v2 for Orbiter2010

Orbiter 2016: Glideslope for Orbiter 2016 v2.6, BaseSyncMFD for Orbiter 2016 v3.1, and ModuleMessagingExt v2 for Orbiter 2016

If you need Visual C++ Redistributables - look here: VC++ 2015 Redist or here VC++ 2010. If prompted, always choose the 32-bit version - also known as the x86 version, as Orbiter.exe is a 32-bit binary.

Finally ... look at your orbiter.log to see if you have any errors. "Error 126" is a sure-fire guarantee that you are missing a required dependency, which for BaseSync or Glideslope is either ModuleMessagingExt v2, or a VC++ runtime. And like I said, from the next version releases of each of these, there will be zero further dependencies (i.e. if you install ModuleMessagingExt, then Glideslope and BaseSync will be able to communicate, and if not, then they will run standalone with no dependency issues).

Last edited:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I can't for the life of me remember who I got this from, but I was struggling with reentry with the XR2 for a long time until someone passed this info to me. Whoever you are, if you read this let me know and I will give you full credit.

Mystery Orbinaut said:
You should set ALT to 80km, ANT to between 40 and 50 (depending on how fast you want to descend) and ANG to between 0.7 and 1

that gives you a deorbit almost exactly on the far side of earth, once you hit the atmosphere, check your attitude AP is holding AoA NOT pitch )theres a button on the top right of that panel)

aim to hold a descent speed, not your AoA, that should change throughout the descent, starting from 42-45 and ending about 30 (read on)

holding 80m/s is my usual target, but you can go higher without burning up, and lower to extend your re-entry (but dont go too low, or youll lose too much speed and then burn up after a kinda secondary stall)

once your speed gets below 2.3k, you can roll out of the high AoA, and use aerobrake mfd to set your traget impact point about 100k ahead of your target (1/2 to 2/3 of a square on the zoomed map)

then you should pass a few kms over your target, just descend like a glider (in a descent spiral a couple of km after the end of your target runway, and move in for landing when you can descend to it without losing control

if you find yourself way too short (we've all done it, dont worry) you can open your scram doors if you have any fuel left, or use your mains, prefferably early on in the higher atmosphere where they have a greater ISP, but save some for your final approach if you need it

Anroalh12

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
That's the one.

Amazing what one can find if they actually use the search function... :huh:

Thanks. And thanks to Grover for the original explanation.

alecislaghi

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I know this is an old thread, but I'm so confused. I've beed trying to use Glideslope with BaseSync and I can't get them to work together. So I checked the version on both, and yes, they were out of date. That's why I ended up here. So I downloaded Glideslope 2.7, BaseSync 3.3 and ModMessaging 2.1d ... (which are, as far as I understand, the "latest" version of each)

So I installed all 3, but the parameters seems to not match, Glideslope tells me to do one thing, BaseSync tells me to do something completely different....so I went to the manual of both and I notice some kind of confusion on the manual that comes with Glideslope2.7, as the manual starts saying at the top: "Glideslope 2.6 MFD User Documentation" (2.6?)

Then right at the introduction of the document: "Glideslope 2.5 MFD is a spacecraft reentry management tool developed for Orbiter 2016." ... ???

And then below that in bright red color, there's a note saying: "If you are looking for support for Orbiter 2010, then please use Glideslope 2.4, as this version and higher is not compatible with the old Orbiter 2010." ... ???

I mean....... ??? I'm absolutely lost now :suicide:
Does anyone knows what are the 3 versions that work together, for Orbiter 2010 p1 ?
Please.

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I know this is an old thread, but I'm so confused. I've beed trying to use Glideslope with BaseSync and I can't get them to work together. So I checked the version on both, and yes, they were out of date. That's why I ended up here. So I downloaded Glideslope 2.7, BaseSync 3.3 and ModMessaging 2.1d ... (which are, as far as I understand, the "latest" version of each)

So I installed all 3, but the parameters seems to not match, Glideslope tells me to do one thing, BaseSync tells me to do something completely different....so I went to the manual of both and I notice some kind of confusion on the manual that comes with Glideslope2.7, as the manual starts saying at the top: "Glideslope 2.6 MFD User Documentation" (2.6?)

Then right at the introduction of the document: "Glideslope 2.5 MFD is a spacecraft reentry management tool developed for Orbiter 2016." ... ???

And then below that in bright red color, there's a note saying: "If you are looking for support for Orbiter 2010, then please use Glideslope 2.4, as this version and higher is not compatible with the old Orbiter 2010." ... ???

I mean....... ??? I'm absolutely lost now :suicide:
Does anyone knows what are the 3 versions that work together, for Orbiter 2010 p1 ?
Please.

If you want to use Orbiter 2010, then you need the 2010 versions of the MFD's. As ADSWNJ wrote in post number 9, they exist in parallell versions for both Orbiter versions. Newer updates have arrived, but the links are the same.

So,
Module Messaging for 2010: [ame]https://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6966[/ame]
Base Sync for 2010: [ame]https://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6881[/ame]
Glideslope for 2010: [ame]https://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5969[/ame]

(disclaimer: I haven't tried them myself, so report back if it still doesn't work)

alecislaghi

Reaction score
Thank you asbjos!

I think I had something messed up with other (older) files inside the Orbiter 2010 folder. Luckly I still have my own "stable" installation of Orbiter 2010, so I just reinstalled everything, using the links you gave me and it works fine now!!! :thumbup:

This is the problem when you stay away from Orbiter for many years, then take an old installation with thousands of add-ons and then try to install something new! :rofl:

Best Regards;
Alex.