Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Any reasons not to have a thread where you can share astronomical images that struck you as amazing?

If no, let us begin:

A galaxy far, far away:
potw1029a.jpg

A... moon?
mimas_2010.jpg

A river:
ISS025-E-09858_lrg.jpg

And a comet:
expoxi_medres_hartley2.jpg

Unstung

Reaction score
y13_00151588.jpg

On February 13, 2010 NASA's Cassini spacecraft approached close to Saturn's moon Mimas, approximately 70,000 km away, and created this image of the icy satellite. Saturn's limb and upper atmosphere are visible in the background. (NASA/JPL/SSI) #

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Reality, n. Something Orbiter would never get even close to replicating.
phoboslimb_marsexpress_big.jpg

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
the read squares are fires of any sort, but I'm assuming they have to be of notable size to be sensed by the imager.

I read that their imaging software automatically identifies and overlays them for ID. check out MODIS rapid fire for more info. the image of the day gallery is really nice. also you can find good satellite photos of most anywhere from the previous day, if you want to see real time photos (from the same day as "today") they are kind of hit and miss due to the orbit and also they are distorted and unprocessed. You can get a glimpse at what looks like, but it's better to wait a day.

I look every day to see what the weather looked like yesterday from the top! storms can vary from very interesting to very boring!

p.s. look closely at the squares and you can see smoke plumes coming out of many of them that reach for miles!

Last edited:

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
The first entire picture of earth taken from space. It never ceases to amaze me. That mankind has the potential to reach space. It's truly amazing.

Attachments

• first_science_Earth_from_Space_photo.jpg
    first_science_Earth_from_Space_photo.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 37

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
DTEEC_007573_1555_007929_1555_A01.ca.jpg

Hint: this is NOT Arizona, it is the 3D terrain model (of May 2, 2011) of the place I'd like to visit... on Mars (Alga Crater - [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaritifer_Sinus_quadrangle"]Margaritifer Sinus quadrangle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]).

Last edited:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Red orbs :lol: by Joseph Brimacombe:

{colsp=3}
Click on images to enlarge​
| |
Dec. 10/11, 2011 - Hybrid
|
Dec. 10/11, 2011 - Non-hybrid
|