Questions you ask yourself while going to sleep...

OrbitalConfusion

Reaction score
I am curious to see what astronomy/physics type questions you ask yourself and think about when you go to bed or are sitting thinking late at night.. To start I will name a few that constantly reel through my mind.

Serious questions;

1) Why are we here. Is there a purpose for us?

2) When we make contact with other intelligent life. Will it be a hostile encounter? We are no mads by nature, will the aliens be the same? or will it be a peaceful visit that we screw up by attacking first asking questions later. Stephen Hawking says we are to repel them. This leads me to believe that it could be hostile.

3) We are showing signs of stagnation which will lead to our civilizations demise. Will we ever stop killing each other squabbling over the table scraps earth provides and search outwards for our needs?

Joking-ish questions;

1) If I had the ability to take millions upon millions of galaxies and move them all together into a spherical shape.. What would happen? Would a HUGE star be formed? If this did turn into a star, What would the blackhole be like that it creates? Heck, how severely would such an object affect time, around it? What effect on the universe would it have?

2) How about that Airline food?

Got an answer? Answer them! Got a question? ASK IT! :)

This is gonna be rich... lol

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Most of my questions at night go along the line of "will I find the time to write a line of code tomorrow, or will the kids be as unbearable as they were today?"

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
If i was making the universe, how would it have been designed?

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
When can I go asleep? Yawwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnn........... :goodnight:

MattBaker

Reaction score
"So everything that ever existed will float around in a dark chunk in a couple of dozens of billion years."

Spacethingy

Multitasker
Reaction score
Website
spacethingy.weebly.com
1) "Answer me this Richard, what sort of animal would serve a desert with peas in?"
2) Did I lock the doors?
3) Are the fire alarms working?
4) Are the CO alarms working?
5) Is that a laser pointer?
6) Will I wake up dead?
7) What day is it tomorrow?
8) Is tomorrow today?
9) Is it tomorrow now, making today yesterday?
9) What the heck did that even mean?
10) Can you get benzodiazepines on the NHS?

OrbitalConfusion

Reaction score
Ok, besides the odd case of OCD, you mean to tell me none of you look up at the night sky with wonder and amazement? (Inb4 jodie foster jokes)

Im 34. Its been a 15 year journey this far learning. I started looking up as a little kid wondering and that wonder was cemented when my father did the first thing in his life that was good for me.. He bought me a cheap telescope. The second and only other thing was he made my grandmother purchase me a computer as a teenager.

Maybe, I am the one with issues.. I just cant help it. The night sky looks just as wonderful today as it did decades ago for me. Grabbing a telescope, heading to the beach late at night... its peaceful but those questions keep reeling.

@Spacethingy "1) "Answer me this Richard, what sort of animal would serve a desert with peas in?" Richard actually did respond to your question. ;)

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
1) "Answer me this Richard, what sort of animal would serve a desert with peas in?"

Depends on the desert. Hot? Cold? Semiarid? For instance, I like chocolate chips with my Gobi while Kalahari is best served with some chantilly and a cherry or two. I don't know about Sahara, I tend to avoid it because it goes straight to the hips.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
I made the mistake of reading "The Years of Rice and Salt" before going to bed one night...
That led me to the following questions:
How would we know if reincarnation is real?
If it is, do some of our memories from previous lives bleed through to the present one?
Do we fall in love with the same soul each time?
Would we look similar each time?

Normally, I would just let this stuff float by, but the way my girlfriend and I met has left me much more open minded to these thoughts.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Normally, I would just let this stuff float by, but the way my girlfriend and I met has left me much more open minded to these thoughts.

Just a kind warning, putting a relationship under the pressure of destiny usually has rather destructive consequences...

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
I know. We're just taking it day by day. It's just really weird to both of us that the first time we met, we both thought "Have we met before? That person looks really familiar."

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ok, besides the odd case of OCD, you mean to tell me none of you look up at the night sky with wonder and amazement?

I used to, but lately life has been too overbearing to allow much thought for anything of that nature. Moving into a city with light-pollution and living with a flatmate with less interest in the subject doesn't help either. :(

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Who ever has a good destiny... it will be mine, AAAAARRRRR! Now, bring me that horizon.

Why does the Talk-Like-A-Pirate-Day always fall on a day on which I have to see customers?

statisticsnerd

Reaction score
I think about the vastness of the universe and wonder if there are billions of planets with life on them, many with advanced life, and then I start to wonder if we truly are alone.

Then I start to wonder if we are really living in a dream state, that Earth and the universe, and even the house that I live in don't really exist, that it is like playing a video game that lasts for 70-90 years but we aren't aware of it.

ncc1701d

Reaction score
I was wondering the other night. With any new planet that is colonized could we ban politicians from living there? They seem to start wars and screw things up. And if they were not there are scientists capable of running a planet any better?

Unstung

Reaction score
I don't wonder about the universe or anything like that when I'm going to sleep. This question could have been phrased better, especially when seeing the responses on the first page.

However, I'm interested in what life, if any, exists beneath Europa's ice. I like to believe that life must exist in Europa's ocean, but the nature of these creatures is still unknown.

Knowing what the surface of outer solar system moons look like from the perspective of someone on the ground would also be wonderful. High resolution views from the surface of Io, Europa, Ganymede, Titan (and seas), Enceladus, Miradna, Triton, etc. would be stunning.

Last edited: