Question about compiling a 2016 version.

Tim13

Reaction score
In the sticky above titled: "How to setup an up to date SSU installation for Orbiter 2016", it says to install three programs, but only two are listed. What is the third program?

I'm not very savvy when it comes to the whole sourceforge/github compiling technique, but I'm not willing to give it a shot. I keep getting CTD's with the downloadable v4.2 running it with the D3D9 client. I'll post some logs when I get home from work to see if it's something obvious, but the only thing running is SSU in a clean copy of 2010P1. The CTD's are why I'm willing to see if I can get SSU working in 2016.

Thanks,

Tim

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
In the sticky above titled: "How to setup an up to date SSU installation for Orbiter 2016", it says to install three programs, but only two are listed. What is the third program?
Clearly something that is not needed... :uhh:

I keep getting CTD's with the downloadable v4.2 running it with the D3D9 client.
Did you follow the instalation instructions correctly?

Tim13

Reaction score
Did you follow the instalation instructions correctly?

Yeah, once I was directed to the correct v16.5 D3D9 client on page 247 of the D3D9 thread, it was installed correctly. I also installed the Vandenburg addon with the .cfg changes made, and the SSU with the .cfg changes too. Other than the SSU, D3D9 client, and the other required addons for SSU, it's a clean copy. I did add the hirez earth and cloud textures, but it doesn't seem likely those would be an issue.

I'll post the logs for Orbiter and D3D9 when I get home if your interested.

I'm hoping moving to a clean copy of 2016 with SSU will solve my CTD's.

Tim

Tim13

Reaction score
Here are the logs if interested. I made a PDF file; the orbiter log is first, and the D3D9 log is after it.

Tim

Attachments

• Logs for CDT.pdf
    123.9 KB · Views: 228

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
The error at the bottom of page 39/top of 40 and page 57 appears to point to a D3D9 issue... what I don't know.
The D3D9 looks to be compiled for Orbiter 2010... does it crash in other scenarios (Delta Glider, etc)? Did you generate the symbolic links in the D3D9 options?

Also, when does the CTD happen? I ask because there's the error in the logs, but then it continues to run and it looks like the shutle makes it into orbit...

Tim13

Reaction score
I did make the symbolic links. The CTD almost always happens in less than the first orbit, and usually when quickly switching between inside and outside view.

Like a lot of gamers, I have two 26 inch monitors set up, and run the game on monitor one, while using monitor two for references, etc... I've noticed the CTD's seem to happen when going between the Orbiter window on one monitor, and working in another window (PDF, browser, OfficeLibre, etc...) at the same time.

As a test, I did boot up a stock SSU scenario, the one where the shuttle is station keeping, and ready to dock at the ISS. I let that one run for several orbits without issues. It happens it seems when I start out a few hours before launch, run the checklists, launch, and then get about 20 to 30 minutes into the first orbit, right around OMS-2, and Orbiter just freezes.

One last odd thing. I did just let it sit there a few times to see what would happen, and to my surprise, after about 5 minutes of the Windows spinning blue wheel, it started working again. But that only happened one time. The rest of the times, I had to shut close Orbiter down, and re-start.

BTW, I just installed the MS Visual program, and TortoiseSVN. We'll see if I can work my way through the tutorial to get SSU running in a clean copy of Orbiter 2016. This ought to be interesting.....LOL.

Lastly, I see the forums have been kind of quiet, and it seems I'm about the only one posting much. I appreciate the time you've devoted to answering my posts. I hope I'm not being a pain in the behind.

Tim

Tim

---------- Post added 05-12-18 at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was 05-11-18 at 10:03 PM ----------

"Once the reverting is complete, the folder should have a green checkmark on it. There's just two more things we have to do to enable successful building of the SSU sources and that is to install OrbiterSound 4.0. Once OS 4.0 has been installed, navigate to the Sound\OrbiterSound_SDK\VESSELSOUND_SDK\ShuttlePB_p roject\ folder. Then select the two files named "OrbiterSoundSDK40.h" and "OrbiterSoundSDK40.lib". Once selected cut them (Ctrl-X) and then navigate to Orbitersdk\include folder and paste them into it. Once this is done, select the file named "OrbiterSoundSDK40.lib" and cut it (Ctrl-X) paste it into the Orbitersdk\lib folder.

Now it is time to fire up VC++ to build the SSU source code so they become modules that can be used by Orbiter.
This might seem a bit complicated but it really isn't. Everything has already been set up if you followed the VC++ setup video linked earlier in this thread.

Now click on the Open Project... option of the VC++ Start Page and the navigate to the Orbitersdk\Space Shuttle Ultra\ folder. Then find the file called "Atlantis_2017.sln" (it might be just called "Atlantis_2017" if you haven't enabled the display of file extensions). This will load all the various SSU projects."

I have a quick question about this process. I have a folder with the files that populated from running Tortoise. At what point do I move them into Orbiter 2016? Before or after running VC++?

Also, my folder with the files from Tortoise does not have a mark on it, green or red. Is that a feature of an older version of Tortoise?

Thanks,

Tim

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I have a quick question about this process. I have a folder with the files that populated from running Tortoise. At what point do I move them into Orbiter 2016? Before or after running VC++?
Before.

Also, my folder with the files from Tortoise does not have a mark on it, green or red. Is that a feature of an older version of Tortoise?
Please try the troubleshooting steps outlined here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1057734/tortoisesvn-icons-not-showing-up-under-windows-7

Tim13

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Dave. I was doing this last night, and shut my gaming rig down when I was getting too tired to think straight. When I started it up just now, low and behold I've got the green checkmarks. :thumbup:

This is going to be the longest anyone has ever done this process...LOL!

Tim

---------- Post added 05-13-18 at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was 05-12-18 at 08:26 PM ----------

Day three. Can the old man with the addled brain actually do this? :hmm:

So I have my copy of Orbiter 2016 with all of the required addons, and files cut/pasted ready to go. I even made a backup copy in case things go horribly wrong.

And, I have my independent file with SSU files from Tortoise ready to go with green check marks.

The question: Since the SSU files aren't a zip file, do I manually transfer them from their Tortoise download folder, to their proper Orbiter folders?

And once the SSU files are in their correct Orbiter folders, then start MS Visual Studio, and point it to the .sln file, and run it?

Thanks for your patients, and help. I promise, there is a light at the end of the tunnel!

Tim

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The question: Since the SSU files aren't a zip file, do I manually transfer them from their Tortoise download folder, to their proper Orbiter folders?
No. The Orbiter files and the SSU files are supposed to live within the same Orbiter installation. There's no moving of files at all. Once the SVN checkout is complete, you need to extract the Orbiter 2016 files like normal. It is here where you'll get asked if you want to overwrite some of the already existing files which you want to do.

Tim13

Reaction score
So, what your saying is when grabbing the svn files, point Tortoise at the main Orbiter 2016 folder, and let it download them in there?

Tim

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So, what your saying is when grabbing the svn files, point Tortoise at the main Orbiter 2016 folder, and let it download them in there?
Yes, but it has to be completely empty. In this case, SSU SVN is the base/foundation and Orbiter is the add-on. SSU always goes first.

Tim13

Reaction score
Yes, but it has to be completely empty. In this case, SSU SVN is the base/foundation and Orbiter is the add-on. SSU always goes first.

So move the entire Orbiter 2016 file into the independent SSU folder I created, then point Visual Studio at the .sln?

Tim

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So move the entire Orbiter 2016 file into the independent SSU folder I created, then point Visual Studio at the .sln?
Yes. You extract the files from the Orbiter2016.zip archive into the SSU installation folder and let it overwrite the files that need to be overwritten. Once that's complete, you head to the SSU installation and revert the overwritten files. Then you can fire VS and build the actual SSU modules.

Tim13

Reaction score
Yes. You extract the files from the Orbiter2016.zip archive into the SSU installation folder and let it overwrite the files that need to be overwritten. Once that's complete, you head to the SSU installation and revert the overwritten files. Then you can fire VS and build the actual SSU modules.

OK. I think I have it. When I get home from work in a few hours, I'll give it a go.

I really only use Orbiter for the STS addons, so I hope I'm successful. Orbiter 2016 is so much nicer looking, I really want to transition to it and bring SSU along.

Tim

---------- Post added 05-14-18 at 12:46 AM ---------- Previous post was 05-13-18 at 04:25 PM ----------

After three days, and some trial and error (mostly error....lol), I think I succeeded. I have Orbiter 2016 up and running with SSU installed. After I ran the Visual Basic build, this was the report at the end:

========== Rebuild All: 15 succeeded, 0 failed, 1 skipped ==========

Everything seems to be working, but I'm a bit worn out now, and will play with it more tomorrow.

One last question for now. I installed the two SSU fonts by right clicking on them, and I'm guessing they were installed into the Windows 10 Font location. Is that correct?

Dave, thanks again for all your help. I know it's tiring to keep answering such basic questions, but I really appreciate it.

Tim