Proud new owner of a Celestron Nexstar 130SLT

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
My new toy here came in the mail today, and I got it all assembled pretty shortly after that :). Unfortunately, it's cloudy out tonight (and, by the look of it, tomorrow too), so I'm not going to get a chance to give it a spin until Thursday at least :thumbsdown:

In any case, I can't express how excited I am to finally get stargazing! Hopefully I'll be able to buy a decent camera for pictures later in the summer :thumbup:

14jyl55.jpg

FSXHD

Heterotroph
Donator
Reaction score
Congratulations! I'm looking forward to your findings!

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That's a nice one. :thumbup:

What is your first planned target? Saturn? Albireo? Andromeda? Tycho on the Moon? More things to look at than satellite television. :)

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
I'm thinking Jupiter actually. I'm gonna see if I can catch one of it's moons in transit. Now that would be a cool sight! Then I'll probably turn it to the moon :thumbup:

Keatah

Reaction score
Looks like it could outperform HST!

jimblah

Reaction score
I can see from where I'm sitting all the pleasure and enjoyment you'll experience. I'm sure you'll find a way to enjoy it even more.

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Cool scope - my first one was also a 130mm - you won't be disappointed! That go-to handset looks really nice - I've never used one. It will make taking pictures nice and easy too! Saturn is at its best now - take a look at that first (Jupiter is too close to the Sun to be seen at the moment) if you want to see something cool!

I look forward to your reports.

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Welcome to the fascinating world of Astronomy.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
Nice! I started on a 130mm one just like that (Skywatcher) and within 18 months I'd upgraded to an 8" SCT (also Celestron, so I can applaud your decision!). Welcome to the world of Astronomy. May it forever entice you. Saturn will be lovely through it and you should be able to make out the Cassini division. Also, swing it onto the moon (if it's up) on your first night. Utterly breathtaking views!

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
I has a chance to look at the moon last night, and I'll agree it was quite breathtaking :p. I had to wake up my family to come out and view it too.

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
I ummm use the naked eye and umm google sky map. Lucky people with telescopes. :lol: Glad you have that though, it looks like a keeper!

globalist

Reaction score
How clear does the sky have to be for this to be enjoyable? I live in a village close to a big city, and even though the night sky can be pretty clear there's too much "light contamination" in my area it seems...

Thanks!

Nazban

Reaction score
globalist;bt2863 said:
How clear does the sky have to be for this to be enjoyable? I live in a village close to a big city, and even though the night sky can be pretty clear there's too much "light contamination" in my area it seems...

Thanks!

lol same question i wanted to ask :lol:
my dad and i saw the telescope in a shop near my house, but since im living in the center of a city, light pollution is the only issue stopping me from buying the telescope.
Can you post pics taken by the telescope?

globalist

Reaction score
I guess the owner is too busy enjoying his new gadget to respond? :)