Powell Glider - looking for opinions!

Epsilon

Interplanetary Road Pizza
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I see on Orbithangar that it's been downloaded 21 times. I'm respectfully looking for feedback on the handling of the craft - stuff I can tweak, etc.

I've already started planning for a new ship, also based on SC3 (in other words, screwing around with Blender, seeing what shapes come up :p) and before I end up getting into the aerodynamics of it, I'd like opinions, comments, concerns, etc. My plan is to make ships that, rather than being fancy and full-featured and "omg that's awesome" like the DGIV and the XR-2 (so I've heard - I haven't flown those ships yet), are fun to fly. That magical mix of aerodynamic parameters that just make it fun.

The next ship will be the Donovan, of course. 10 points to anyone who catches the reference. :lol:

P.S. - Turn off RCS during re-entry if it's hard to handle, and turn killrot on. I assure you the control surfaces are more than sufficient to maneuver Redbrick One once you're below about 30km. :dry:

P.P.S. - On a re-read, I'm not rewriting the section... but I'm not saying that the DGIV and XR-2 aren't fun to fly - I'm just saying that enjoyment is my primary focus, while those two mods seem to be based a lot more on pseudorealism. ;)

A final P.S.: The actual link for the thing is [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3622"]Search[/ame] - figure I might as well advertise while I'm at it. :p

Last edited:

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Shape is fine for being part of a learning process. Textures still need lots of work.

Such big wings could give you lift, but they might be sensitive to structural stress.
Elevators may not be very useful during reentry and there are some regions where lack of streamlined airflow could result in overheating of structure.

Epsilon

Interplanetary Road Pizza
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
For the record, the thing's a bit smaller than the stock DG, but weighs a bit short of 10 times as much. It's assumed that it's made from super-duper-top-secret-future-y material an' stuff, so I'm not worried quite so much about the structure. That being said, I see what you mean by the elevators - I -think- that got addressed in the .cfg file, but I won't quote that. The streamlining will be worked on, 'cause that just makes it look better.

So how does it fly? ^_^

P.S. - And yes, the textures suck.

P.P.S. - Mesh Wizard played a huge part in getting all the stuff in the right places. Majorly pimp program - I love it! :speakcool:

Last edited:

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Texturing belongs to the world of painting.
A fine vessel is a 3D mesh wrapped with a cool 2D painting.
Texture is key to add cool factor.

In the past I tried to imagine a tutorial "making textures for dummies" until I realized that it was like painting, so better take painting lessons, for a single tutorial can't teach you about all whereabouts of arts.