Humor Plane window repaired with tape

orbekler

Reaction score
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...-watch-Ryanair-mend-jet-window-with-TAPE.html

...Former pilot John Guntrip said: "This could have been disastrous, the pilot could have been sucked out mid-air if the window had come off." ... :rofl:

It reminds me of...
Airplane_screenshot_Haggerty_Nielsen.jpg

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
It would be blown out and not sucked out and it's happened. [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_5390"]British Airways Flight 5390 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

However, in this case the passengers are not LAE's (licensed aircraft engineers) so probably don't understand the nature of the repair.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Well, it's Ryanair. You get what you pay for...

Not true. They are a UK based operator and so would come under very strict maintenance requirements. the Sun is not a newspaper but... well, its better known for other things.

Ark

Reaction score
The Sun is a tabloid rag with the credibility (and usefulness) of toilet paper.

Sucked out midair? Please...

BusDriver

Reaction score
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_tape"]Speed tape - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

It's perfectly normal, and commonly used for some small repairs.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
a 'small' repair implies a crack in the paint, or a non critical bolt missing...NOT a missing window.
HOWEVER...i hold the Sun in the same regard as all other tabloids, full of :censored:. Minimal truth in all of them. :2cents:

APDAF

Reaction score
Ryanair is not UK based it is Irish.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
meh - duct tape saved the Apollo 13 crew - i wouldn't feel safe flying WITHOUT it :lol:

the :probe: gave us duct tape, which like the force, has a light and a dark side - and it holds the universe together :cheers:

also, back when i used to fly sailplanes - tape was a common repair tool to seal the gaps between the windows and fuselage.... ok it wasn't pressurized.... and it was a 50-year-old plane.... but it did fly better with it than without (or more comfortably, at least) :hmm:

ain't she a beauty? - look:
3392387.jpg

notice the tape :rolleyes:

Ark

Reaction score
Hey, toilet paper is useful. Try using The Sun in its stead, see how you like it!

That's exactly my point. Much like toilet paper, the Sun is useful only as an absorbing material for :censored:. :lol:

orbekler

Reaction score

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
hmmmm... :hmm: seems true enough, i still hate tabloids

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not true. They are a UK based operator and so would come under very strict maintenance requirements. the Sun is not a newspaper but... well, its better known for other things.

I would hope so. I wasn't really serious. ;)

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Ya, but unless it's a viral hoax, it seems a real news, although a bit humoristic:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/10/24/ryanair-reportedly-uses-tape-to-seal-plane-window/
That fox news "article" only cites the Sun as its source. Not particularly reliable.

Ryanair also seems to only do that route on Tuesdays...not Monday as would be required by this story...

---------- Post added at 13:28 ---------- Previous post was at 13:24 ----------

Also, the Ryanair website lists a flight this morning as having diverted due to weather, nothing about returning to Stansted.

Krys

Resident Female
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Well mythbusters proved you can repair a plane with duct tape and it will still fly in the episode "duct tape plane".

Spacethingy

Multitasker
Reaction score
Website
spacethingy.weebly.com
Oh please, let's be serious here. Tape is quite clearly the wrong material to use, string and paste being much less liable to flap in the very fast wind that you get up there. String is also a lot less susceptible to sucking out than tape.

That reminds me of...

80mileshigh

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
eightymileshigh.wordpress.com
It's perfectly normal, and commonly used for some small repairs.

On a recent return trip from the US the United 747 I was on got patched up with tape after landing in torrential rain in Sydney.

I caught the same plane an hour later for the final leg to Melbourne and the tape-solution, applied on the fuselage over the forward exit, was still in place. I was unworried but some of the other passengers looked a bit unnerved. :)