Phosphine detected in the atmosphere of Venus

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Ok, so anaerob life is a possible source for such amounts of Phosphine. There is also another reaction possible, with sulfuric acid and Aluminum Phosphide, but then, an artificial anorganic substance has to exist on Venus.

The reactions that produce Phosphine on Jupiter are not possible, because Venus does not get hot enough.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
This is huge news. Skepticism is warranted, but it's probably the closest we've ever come to finding life out there in the universe beyond Earth. Surprised there's not more interest in it.

Reaction score
At the very least, it should encourage more missions. Very exciting stuff.
Definitely. However, unfortunately, a boring explanation is usually the correct explanation. Remember the star that was thought to be surrounded by a Dyson sphere and ended up just being dust? Before we get too excited, let's consider that the phosphine was most likely produced by non-biological means. Still, we should definitely send a :probe:there to find out.

n72.75

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.adabsurdumpublishing.com
Definitely. However, unfortunately, a boring explanation is usually the correct explanation. Remember the star that was thought to be surrounded by a Dyson sphere and ended up just being dust? Before we get too excited, let's consider that the phosphine was most likely produced by non-biological means. Still, we should definitely send a :probe:there to find out.
Oh I agreed wholeheartedly.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
This really gets me excited about the prospects of more science probes going to Venus. What would it take to get a sample of gas from the upper atmosphere of Venus? A low pass aerobraking pass of a sample return mission would be very fiery, I imagine. Dropping a buoyant probe into the clouds under a ballute/balloon with a big enough science package to make an unambigous determination of the presence of life would probably be harder than sending making an unambiguous determination of the presence of life on Mars.