General Question Payload Support Stuctures

rcraig42

Reaction score
Has anyone considered making or already made payload support structures for vertical launch boosters? Even just the meshes for various sizes and shapes of upper stages to mate with the satellite or probe being launched. They could be easily configured as a Velcro part* and added to the stack.

Just to make the external visual more appealing and realistic than the satellite just hanging out there, or resting directly on the dome.

* on that subject, has anyone documented all the Velcro parts, what they are and what they fit?

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Some l have this. For example, FOI is pretty good about this with Jarvis, Neptune, etc. Also BrianJ's Atlas, Delta, etc.

IIRC this: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2622"]ClementineDSPSE[/ame]

has a support structure for CVEL Titans which could be made into Velcro, I think.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Those are actually called "Payload Attach Fittings" or PAFs for short. Details about the Delta IV PAFs can be found in the Delta IV Users Guide, page 5-2 (142).

rcraig42

Reaction score
Those are actually called "Payload Attach Fittings" or PAFs for short. Details about the Delta IV PAFs can be found in the Delta IV Users Guide, page 5-2 (142).

Thanks, I didn't know the term for them :) I just stated what they do.

And thanks for the link, I can model them myself now that I know what they actually look like and their dimensions. It also put me on to googling for the "User Guide" for the Atlas V, so I can make the adapters for them too. Which is usually a flanged straight cylinder, with the conic section on top to fit the specific payload.

If I get this done well enough and figure out how to make nice looking materials for them, I'll upload them to OHM for anyone that's interested.

@boogabooga

I downloaded that Clementine, and while it certainly can be made into a velcro part, it is far taller than the adapters used on the EELV's that I am primarily concerned with right now.