Question other MP3 players in orbiter

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
I have wasted half a day trying to get mp3 to play in orbiter. ( i have another thread)

Well I give up. I can't sit here when I should be working on other things trying to figure this out.

I have followed the instructions.
my computer plays mp3's in EVERY software i have with out any issues what so ever. I put them in a playlist..orbiter see nothing in the play list. I put them in the folder it freezes up my orbiter. Dan I love your sound app but man I am getting mad considering I hear someone out there saying "oh i got zz top going" ya well I would like to do the same. Only right now I am thinking system of a down with the song prison song...I JUST CANT WIN with you orbiter.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
So do it. Play it in something else. Run Windows Media Player in the background.

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
I have a dual monitor system So that is the plan. I am just gonna put something on the other monitor and how that orbiter doesn't have a issue with it. Pretty bad I have wasted hours on this and had to have the task manager open on the side. Never thought this would be such a big issue to do a simple thing.

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
that is a open source format is it not? I have not used it I just know of it. whats the deal with that?

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

So do it. Play it in something else. Run Windows Media Player in the background.

that was a good Idea nick for sure. I found out that every time I go to change the track it dumps out of orbiter cause of the dual monitor and having any sort of player on it. So playing in the background might be the only option. Just suck not having control for them songs you just don't feel like hearing that day ya know.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
that is a open source format is it not? I have not used it I just know of it. whats the deal with that?

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

that was a good Idea nick for sure. I found out that every time I go to change the track it dumps out of orbiter cause of the dual monitor and having any sort of player on it. So playing in the background might be the only option. Just suck not having control for them songs you just don't feel like hearing that day ya know.

You should have keyboard shortcuts one way or another.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I've never had issues with orbiter sound but if I want to listen to MP3's then I use VLC. Or my iphone. Or the radio.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Pretty much like mp3, but without the noise. Takes a liitle bit less space on your HD.

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
really..I must research this. now are you talking less noise as in signal to noise or less noise like less BS? Cause Mp3s come fully stocked with that.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
I am talking about the duration of the mp3 compared to its size. A 60 second mp3 will take an x amount of kilobytes on your hard drive, even if those 60 seconds are complete silence. In ogg, the silent parts take -in theory- no space.

Back to the original question, you don't have many options when it comes to sound in Orbiter. If it's just the mp3s that trouble you and the rest of the sounds play ok, then you may consider to set the option "never play mp3" in the sound config and simply play the mp3s through an external player.

The ogg files that I talked about can be played through a lua script, for more info have look here.

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
On your playlist problem. You say you put the files in your sounds/mp3 dir.? I used to have issues with that too and the music no playing or freezing. Just delete the playlist file that is in there unless you REALLY want to deal with it.

My personal way of playing music while I am in Orbiter. Well I just use winamp which has all my playlists saved in it. Switch to whatever I want based on my mood. It's easier to manage than the OrbSnd app.

Michkov

Reaction score
Are you by chance running a Windows version that came without the media player preinstalled?
I recently found out that in the N versions of Windows the media player is missing(on purpose) which means that required files for mp3 playback are also missing. Orbiter sound seems to use these to play mp3s.

Installing the Windows Media Feature Pack, fixed this for me. You can even deinstall the pack and it should still be working

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
Are you by chance running a Windows version that came without the media player preinstalled?
I recently found out that in the N versions of Windows the media player is missing(on purpose) which means that required files for mp3 playback are also missing. Orbiter sound seems to use these to play mp3s.

Installing the Windows Media Feature Pack, fixed this for me. You can even deinstall the pack and it should still be working

Actually I did notice that my media does not play mp3's at all for some reason yet everything else I have does. Could this be the issue and how could it be resolved as I think I am fully up to date with media player ever tho I don't use it.

Michkov

Reaction score
Try installing the pack, there is a download link at the bottom of the page I linked to

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
I am running XP. This is a windows 7 64bit pack. I don't think that will work.

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
Oh yes I already know about the stopping of the XP support. And I pay people to run a tight ship in the my studio. They are all updated and plus they are mac's. Being able to get in and get past a very solid cisco firewall is a pro and deserves to get in. 2. this xp computer is not really my concern at all its is a computer that I have of network generally anyways or should I say on network but not online. The port is closed for the on my server. This is what they tell me anyways. But yes a little off topic and thanks for the concern. TMH Studios is state of the art other then some of the old school stuff I use to produce with like synths and stuff. I hate the new windows so thats why I went all mac other then a few things on the network. I'm holding out by my finger nails as long as I can. :) Finally a operating system out of microsoft that actually works. for the most part. I miss the old Windows 2000 days.:(