OHM OSIRIS-REx

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: brianj

The Osiris_Rex spacecraft, AtlasV launcher and launch-pad SLC-41, asteroid Bennu. Launch and post-launch scenarios. Operation and installation instructions in /Doc/Osiris_REx/ folder. Installation of Bennu requires editing /Config/Sol.cfg.

Spacecraft feat.deployable Touch-and-Go(TAGSAM)sampler arm, simulated sample acquisition and spin-testing, Sample Return Capsule(SRC) with automatic chute deployment, etc. Bennu elevation model by guess and luck.

Launch scenarios require:
"Multistage2015 for Orbiter2016"
https://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=7010

With thanks to MartinS and all Orbinauts.

DOWNLOAD

Zach121k

Reaction score
I like how I don't have to reference any old addons for this Atlas. Will the other add-ons get this treatment?

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I like how I don't have to reference any old addons for this Atlas. Will the other add-ons get this treatment?
Good :) No Plans to update the other add-ons, though. Actually, I think it would make more sense to put the AtlasV and SLC41 meshes in a separate download, then have that as a requirement for MRO/LRO/SDO/Maven/InSight/etc. But I have more interesting Orbiter projects in hand, so no plans for updates at the moment.

Think I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Vinka and Fred18 for the awesomeness of the Multistage(2015).dll. Makes setting up a launcher so easy :thumbup:

Cheers,
Brian

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi Barry,
I thought Kyle had done a CRS17 scenario in his mission pack?
I can put the scenario I used up on the Cargo Dragon thread, if you like.
Cheers,
Brian

Zach121k

Reaction score
Good :) No Plans to update the other add-ons, though. Actually, I think it would make more sense to put the AtlasV and SLC41 meshes in a separate download, then have that as a requirement for MRO/LRO/SDO/Maven/InSight/etc. But I have more interesting Orbiter projects in hand, so no plans for updates at the moment.

Think I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Vinka and Fred18 for the awesomeness of the Multistage(2015).dll. Makes setting up a launcher so easy :thumbup:

Cheers,
Brian

I can Probably put that together if you want. Is that the only reason that older apps are required? For the pad and whatnot?

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I can Probably put that together if you want. Is that the only reason that older apps are required? For the pad and whatnot?
Well, that's one heck of an offer! But thinking about it, it will be more trouble than it's worth. Not only would you have to bundle the SLC41 and AtlasV(including all variants) into a package, but also remove them from LRO/MRO/SDO/etc.etc. and edit all scenarios and multistage .ini's to reference the new structure, and re-upload them. Aaaaargh. I wouldn't go there(or ask anyone else to) unless absolutely necessary!
Appreciate the offer, though :thumbup:
Cheers,
BrianJ

cristiapi

Reaction score

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi BrianJ,
Some questions:

1) I read in your docs: "Bennu elevation model by guess and luck."; if I post the elevation data created by the OSIRIS-REx Altimetry Working Group, will you be so kind to update the elevation model?

2) Is your ORX model accurate?

3) Does the ORX axes orientation match this figure: https://www.asteroidmission.org/galleries/word-of-the-week/spacecraft-coordinate-system/ ?

Hi :)
1) I'll do my best! Depends what format the data is in.
Any problem with offering it out to anyone else who might be interested in some asteroid construction? I'll probably need help with data format conversion at least.

2) It's not a perfect CAD model, but it's as close as I could get it from the available photos and 3-views.

3) No. Only the Y and Z axes match, X is opposite (Orbiter uses a different "handed" reference system).

Cheers,
Brian

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Bennu shape models in Obj and Stl format are available here:

https://www.asteroidmission.org/updated-bennu-shape-model-3d-files/
Hi,
thanks, that would be very useful for making a mesh for Orbiter2010.
However, the only tool I have for making elevation tiles for Orbiter2016 requires cylindrical projection height map image e.g. .bmp, .jpg, .png.
I did see some discussion about a mesh->height map converter but I'm not sure it ever got off the ground.
Cheers,
Brian

cristiapi

Reaction score
Any problem with offering it out to anyone else who might be interested in some asteroid construction? [...]

No problem at all.

2) It's not a perfect CAD model, but it's as close as I could get it from the available photos and 3-views.

3) No. Only the Y and Z axes match, X is opposite (Orbiter uses a different "handed" reference system).

Thank you

---------- Post added at 18:36 ---------- Previous post was at 18:30 ----------

However, the only tool I have for making elevation tiles for Orbiter2016 requires cylindrical projection height map image e.g. .bmp, .jpg, .png.
I did see some discussion about a mesh->height map converter but I'm not sure it ever got off the ground.

I use the SPICE library to read the file "bennu_g_03170mm_spc_obj_0000n00000_v020.bds" (with global coverage at 31.7 meter resolution). I can create any file (in theory), but probably a .bmp file is the easiest format, for me. Is there any reference for the file format?

Last edited:

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi,
if you can create a .bmp height map image from the data, I can probably handle the simpler "chopping" and conversion jobs ;-)

I'm not sure how Face's "ele2png" handles RGB colour height maps, so I've always used greyscale.

I used a 2048 x 1024 pixel .bmp image, 8-bit/channel greyscale, as the starting point for the current Bennu elevation model. That's about the highest resolution I can "chop" by hand anyway.

Also need to know the altitude of highest and lowest points on the map.
And possibly overall black(min) to white(max) scale.
And the lat. and lng. of the edges of the map.

Cheers,
Brian

cristiapi

Reaction score
if you can create a .bmp height map image from the data, I can probably handle the simpler "chopping" and conversion jobs ;-)

I'm not sure how Face's "ele2png" handles RGB colour height maps, so I've always used greyscale.

I used a 2048 x 1024 pixel .bmp image, 8-bit/channel greyscale, as the starting point for the current Bennu elevation model. That's about the highest resolution I can "chop" by hand anyway.

I tried to insert an image in my post but it didn't work; please, could you take a look here: http://cristianopi.altervista.org/as/sonde_orx/bennu-srf.html ?
After changing from rectangular to cylindrical projection and from color to greyscale, could those heatmaps be good?

Also need to know the altitude of highest and lowest points on the map.

Altitude with respect to which reference?

And possibly overall black(min) to white(max) scale.

Overall? Do you need multiple files?

And the lat. and lng. of the edges of the map.

ok.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
http://cristianopi.altervista.org/as/sonde_orx/bennu-srf.html ?
After changing from rectangular to cylindrical projection and from color to greyscale, could those heatmaps be good?

I can try and use that first height map, but I'm not sure what the resolution is. It looks like it is a cylindrical projection already.

Also, I'm not sure if ele2png.exe can understand the Red/Blue colour scale. I do have Photoshop but I don't see an easy way to convert to greyscale.

I can give it a try and see what I get :)

Altitude with respect to which reference?
With respect to planet mean radius (as specified in Orbiter Bennu.cfg file). The heightmap in your link gives alt. with respect to centre, which is ok.

Overall? Do you need multiple files?
I have a feeling I need the altitude value represented by greyscale "absolute white" and "absolute black", but maybe I don't need that, just the max. and min. alt. on the image.

I'll give it a try and see what happens.
Cheers,
Brian

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

I just had a quick look at that heightmap in Photoshop - doesn't look good.
Edge pixels are blurred. Looks like there are discontinuities between rows of pixels.
Not in 1:2 proportion so will need to stretch vertically.

cristiapi

Reaction score
I can try and use that first height map, but I'm not sure what the resolution is. It looks like it is a cylindrical projection already.

1:2 greyscale heatmap: http://cristianopi.altervista.org/Bennu-hm.html (I posted the html so you can see the numbers).
1 pixel is 1 degree in both directions (the projection is surely equirectangular; if you really need cylindrical, I can try something else).

Left edge: longitude = -180, bottom edge: latitude= -90. There are 360 * 180 = 64800 points.
To clarify: if you consider the upper-right pixel, it represents the longitudes from 179 to 179.99999... and latitudes from 89 to 89.99999... but the elevation value is given for exactly 179, 89.

I just had a quick look at that heightmap in Photoshop - doesn't look good.
Edge pixels are blurred. Looks like there are discontinuities between rows of pixels.
Not in 1:2 proportion so will need to stretch vertically.

Is the new greyscale heatmap better?

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
1:2 greyscale heatmap: http://cristianopi.altervista.org/Bennu-hm.html (I posted the html so you can see the numbers).
1 pixel is 1 degree in both directions (the projection is surely equirectangular; if you really need cylindrical, I can try something else).

Left edge: longitude = -180, bottom edge: latitude= -90. There are 360 * 180 = 64800 points.
To clarify: if you consider the upper-right pixel, it represents the longitudes from 179 to 179.99999... and latitudes from 89 to 89.99999... but the elevation value is given for exactly 179, 89.

Is the new greyscale heatmap better?
Yes, that looks much more hopeful. Can you upload as a .bmp or .png?
Otherwise I can take a screenshot and crop it.

cristiapi

Reaction score
I attached a 360 x 180 and a zipped 1440 x 720 .bmp's.

Attachments

• bennu.bmp
    64.3 KB · Views: 4
  • bennu_1440-720.zip
    197.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Perfect!
I'll give it a try and see what we get.
Will get back to you soon.
Cheers,
BrianJ

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ok, looking quite good, I think. A bit of pinching at the poles. Also, I had to shift the surface textures 180deg to match the elevation.I'll try and do an update for OSIRIS-REx on OH in the next day or so.

Wikipedia Image/Orbiter2016

bennu_comp.jpg