Problem orulex planet approach crash

lennartsmit

Reaction score
When i approach a planet from space i see orulex preloading and after that a pretty little screen that tells me that orbiter fatally crashed. Anyone experiencing the same or a fix?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
post the orbiter.log here. I've had that a few times and normally delete the "ThePlanet" section from the scenario file fixes it.

markl316

XR2 Ravenstar Commander
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
If you are using an older version (like I am) that may happen if you visit too many planets in one session. This is becasue with the older versions, once you leave a planet, it does not unload it from the RAM, and once your RAM is full, orbiter will crash. Try quicksaving, closing orbiter, closing the launchpad, and the reopen the launchpad. Also, how much RAM do you have? If you only have 512 MB or something the higher level earth, moon, and mars might not load at all. Also, make sure you are not using level 9 heightmaps (they have been removed from download but were availaibe at one time). Hope this helps.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Any planet or specific planet?
Your current install or clean install+orulex?
Every time or sometimes?
Approaching from far away to nearby (from >2 radiuses to <1 radius) or from nearby to very close (from <1 radius to surface)?
What is written in orulex message string at the crash point?
What is in the orulex.log?

Messierhunter

Reaction score
I have the same issue, but it only happens when I go from one planet to another in the same session (say, earth to the moon). I'm pretty sure I also downloaded the level 9 heightmaps. Sounds like it was fixed in the latest version, but is it worth losing my level 9 heightmaps? I have 2gb of ram and individual planets work well as long as I reload orbiter before the terrain starts generating on a second planet.

markl316

XR2 Ravenstar Commander
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I have the same issue, but it only happens when I go from one planet to another in the same session (say, earth to the moon). I'm pretty sure I also downloaded the level 9 heightmaps. Sounds like it was fixed in the latest version, but is it worth losing my level 9 heightmaps? I have 2gb of ram and individual planets work well as long as I reload orbiter before the terrain starts generating on a second planet.

100% agreed.

lennartsmit

Reaction score
I have the same issue, but it only happens when I go from one planet to another in the same session (say, earth to the moon).
This is indeed the problem but as i see it is a common problem i'll just have to do it with quicksaving, nothing wrong with that.